User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feisty Bird

Parrots

Charlie-2 year old lesser sulphur crested citron cockatoo Peanut -1 year old White Bellied Caique

Feisty Bird

So we went to my dads house yesterday because it was his 71st birthday. We left Charlie at home for the day and unfortunately he was in his cage most of the day. He is usually out 4-5 hours a day spread throughout the day we have a routine. Well yesterday when we got home I felt that he was being a little feisty with me. He would charge up my stomach and chest and spread his feathers out and kinda nip at me. He wasn't being aggressive or mean, but I felt like he was upset with me for leaving him at home most of the day.

I could have been imagining it but I do not think I was. Do your 2's get a "cockatude" with you if their day is off or things might be not going their way for the day?

2. The following user likes this post:

The Pinkertons (03-22-2016)

Banned

Absolutely they do

Hi Michelle,
    Absolutely they do, Your his main squeeze! Charlie's routine was disrupted, he was upset he was left behind, birds are flock animals, Be careful with over cuddling your Sulphur, it's tempting to baby them because their such cuddle bug's when young. when they reach maturity they become demanding screamers when you no longer snuggle and coddle him like before. he needs to learn to play on is own, his cage is best kept in the main activity room that will help . Next time you have to go for longer than usual try leaving the television on.

4. The following 3 users like this post:

mdg1109 (03-21-2016), plax (03-22-2016), Sucre (03-22-2016)

Parrots

Charlie-2 year old lesser sulphur crested citron cockatoo Peanut -1 year old White Bellied Caique
    Thanks Suzanne, I had to giggle at "his main squeeze". I seem to be surrounded by needy fellas...my husband, my two sons and Charlie. That is a good idea about leaving the TV on I did not think of that. He likes music. I noticed today that when I had the music on my Pandora station (I like classical and instrumental music) while I was cleaning his cage that he was kinda singing (at least that is what I think it was).

I have been trying to be careful about not snuggling him carrying him around too much. If I am doing things that I can keep my eye on him while doing then I let him play outside of his cage on his play gyms. If it is something that I cannot keep my eye on him while doing then he goes in his cage.

I will definitely try the music or the TV next time we have to go somewhere for an extended period of time

6. The following 3 users like this post:

Penny (03-22-2016), plax (03-22-2016), The Pinkertons (03-22-2016)

Banned

Testosterone overload

Oh wow ! Testosterone overload Your doing all the right things, they are empathic creatures and pick-up on our energy and act it out.

8. The following user likes this post:

mdg1109 (03-22-2016)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Try leaving him with a dvd of the film "The Railway Children" when you go out. He can learn to talk like a child with a plummy English accent.
    Casper loves the voices of children.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

10. The following 4 users like this post:

mdg1109 (03-22-2016), Penny (03-22-2016), plax (03-22-2016), The Pinkertons (03-22-2016)

Banned

Spot of tea

Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    Try leaving him with a dvd of the film "The Railway Children" when you go out. He can learn to talk like a child with a plummy English accent.
    Casper loves the voices of children.
    So you want her to train him to be a "COCKY COCKATOO!" WITH A PLUMMY ENGLISH ACCENT! shall we have a "spot" of tea with scones and clotted cream!!!

12. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-22-2016), mdg1109 (03-22-2016), Penny (03-22-2016), plax (03-22-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by The Pinkerton's View Post

So you want her to train him to be a "COCKY COCKATOO!" WITH A PLUMMY ENGLISH ACCENT! shall we have a "spot" of tea with scones and clotted cream!!!
    Just get him an ascot hat or bowler hat to go with it ..
    Penny Sebring | Kiki's Castle
    www.kikiscastle.com
    penny@kikiscastle.com

14. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-22-2016), mdg1109 (03-22-2016), The Pinkertons (03-22-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    I read that part of the training of a Cockatoo is to encourage self entertainment inside the cage. You may want to consider keeping him in the cage for longer periods of time. 4 to 5 hours out of the cage is nice but may lead to discontent while inside his "house"

Also Cockatoos are notoriously birds that prefer not to be in a closed environment like a cage.

Remember to continue to socialize Charlie every day by exposing him to new situations, people and things.

Here is a great link for a lady who knows these birds. Hope it helps

https://companionparrotonline.com/Cockatoo_12.html

16. The following 2 users like this post:

Penny (03-24-2016), The Pinkertons (03-22-2016)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by spiritbird View Post
    I read that part of the training of a Cockatoo is to encourage self entertainment inside the cage. You may want to consider keeping him in the cage for longer periods of time. 4 to 5 hours out of the cage is nice but may lead to discontent while inside his "house"

Also Cockatoos are notoriously birds that prefer not to be in a closed environment like a cage.

Remember to continue to socialize Charlie every day by exposing him to new situations, people and things.

Here is a great link for a lady who knows these birds. Hope it helps

https://companionparrotonline.com/Cockatoo_12.html
    Great advice Dianne

18. The following user likes this post:

spiritbird (03-22-2016)

Parrots

Thanks everyone for the wonderful ideas! I think I will try and avoid the dvd and the ascot...but it was a good suggestion.

It is hard to have him out a lot, but I realize that is what is best for him. He does well when he is in his cage as he has lots and lots of toys stuff to chew, demolish etc.

I am going to try and leave music on for him, I hope he will like it.

Thank you all for the laughs

20. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-22-2016), Penny (03-24-2016), spiritbird (03-22-2016)