User Tag List

Thread: Getting ready to paint

Parrots

Sun conure, Black crowned conure, Yellow sided conure, and an IRN

Getting ready to paint

I am getting ready to paint my dining room and kitchen this week. I will have to use primer because it's on top of paneling and the last time we did it we used paint with primer mixed in, and it didn't do well. So, this time it's going to be a really big ordeal and we'll have to primer first and then paint.

The weather should be decent enough for windows to be open, but I know I need to close the birds off in another room. My question is, how long will I have to keep them away from the painted area?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sucre View Post
    I am getting ready to paint my dining room and kitchen this week. I will have to use primer because it's on top of paneling and the last time we did it we used paint with primer mixed in, and it didn't do well. So, this time it's going to be a really big ordeal and we'll have to primer first and then paint.

The weather should be decent enough for windows to be open, but I know I need to close the birds off in another room. My question is, how long will I have to keep them away from the painted area?
    I would give it a time to cure, give it a week

3. The following 2 users like this post:

Penny (03-20-2016), Sucre (03-20-2016)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    If you can still smell the new paint it is too early. Do you have a fancy air filter that sniffs out allergens and stuff? We can't even have a glass of whisky without ours going into hyperdrive.
    Nearly all paint available in the UK is now water based. Good for the environment but rather annoying that whenever you try and wash off dirty fingerprints you end up needing to redecorate. No wonder shabby chic is the latest thing here.
    Last edited by Casper's 2nd best friend; 03-20-2016 at 11:20 AM.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

5. The following 2 users like this post:

PlaxMacaws (03-20-2016), Sucre (03-20-2016)

Parrots

Charlie-2 year old lesser sulphur crested citron cockatoo Peanut -1 year old White Bellied Caique
    Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    If you can still smell the new paint it is too early. Do you have a fancy air filter that sniffs out allergens and stuff? We can't even have a glass of whisky without ours going into hyperdrive.
    Nearly all paint available in the UK is now water based. Good for the environment but rather annoying that whenever you try and wash off dirty fingerprints you end up needing to redecorate. No wonder shabby chic is the latest thing here.
    Jean-Pierre you are too funny, my house would look like watercolor gone wrong because my two sons (10 & 5) are constantly touching the walls and leaving fingerprints, smudges etc. and I am constantly wiping down the walls.

Kim, you might want to get some fans and point them out the windows with them turned on to help the fumes escape quicker.

7. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-20-2016), Sucre (03-20-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    When shopping for paint look for low to non VOC paints. http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/m...-paints-ov.htm

9. The following user likes this post:

Sucre (03-20-2016)

Parrots

Sun conure, Black crowned conure, Yellow sided conure, and an IRN
    Thanks, everyone. I am hoping to go with all latex, thinking if I use the primer over the oil base on the trim and cabinet doors I can get away with it. I'm going to Lowe's to pick out paint this afternoon and will ask if I can pull that off then. I think the fumes from the primer will be worse than the paint.

Goodness, we are old and slow and it may take us a week to get this done! My grown kids seem to vanish off the face of the earth when we start a project like this!

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    I believe we had another thread on this topic that contained some good advice links, but at the moment I'm unable to locate it. However, I would say: 1) Make certain your birds are well isolated from the painted area. And 2) use open windows, fans and air filtration for an extended period. I would allow 1 to 2 weeks of curing time before moving the birds back into the room (depending upon the type of paint used).

Best of luck with the project!
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

12. The following user likes this post:

Sucre (03-25-2016)