User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coopers Hawks

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine

Coopers Hawks

I just love these Raptors. They are very secretive. Here are a couple videos.

2. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-16-2016), Dragonlady2 (03-16-2016), Mare (03-15-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Beautiful birds and tender parents . I sure wouldn't want them nesting around here, though!

4. The following user likes this post:

spiritbird (03-15-2016)

Parrots

Charlie-2 year old lesser sulphur crested citron cockatoo Peanut -1 year old White Bellied Caique
    We actually have a Coopers hawk that resides nearby! He swooped down in our back yard a few weeks ago and got a crow. We do not see him very often because they are very secretive!

Those are great videos, I love all birds but not a fan of the coopers hawk. If I had to pick my top 3 wild birds:

1.) Hummingbird (we counted 13 in our yard last year visiting our feeders)
    2.) Owls
    3.)Eagles

6. The following 2 users like this post:

Mare (03-16-2016), spiritbird (03-16-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Whoa..that's scary, Michelle! Amigo was chased by a Cooper's, years ago, it FREAKED Amigo and Tim and I OUT!! It chased him down the hill and Amigo took cover in a thicket of dense brush. Tim and I followed as quick as we could and found Amigo hunkered down with the Cooper's in a pine close by. The Cooper's was waiting for Amigo to make a move but being the smart bird that Amigo is..he waited. Tim went over and started beating on the tree that the Cooper was hanging out in and it finally flew off.

That was a very scary day of free flight . Tim went back up the hill and I waited for Amigo to feel comfortable enough to fly in with me, it took around an hour for that to happen.

I think my top 3 favorite wild birds would be:
    The hummingbird
    Finch
    and our beloved ravens that do their darnedest to keep the hawks away!

Parrots

Charlie-2 year old lesser sulphur crested citron cockatoo Peanut -1 year old White Bellied Caique
    Quote Originally Posted by Mare View Post
    Whoa..that's scary, Michelle! Amigo was chased by a Cooper's, years ago, it FREAKED Amigo and Tim and I OUT!! It chased him down the hill and Amigo took cover in a thicket of dense brush. Tim and I followed as quick as we could and found Amigo hunkered down with the Cooper's in a pine close by. The Cooper's was waiting for Amigo to make a move but being the smart bird that Amigo is..he waited. Tim went over and started beating on the tree that the Cooper was hanging out in and it finally flew off.

That was a very scary day of free flight . Tim went back up the hill and I waited for Amigo to feel comfortable enough to fly in with me, it took around an hour for that to happen.

I think my top 3 favorite wild birds would be:
    The hummingbird
    Finch
    and our beloved ravens that do their darnedest to keep the hawks away!
    Wow....I am speechless reading that. I do not know what I would do. My husband and I both agreed that Charlie will mostly be inside but we take him out with us on the front porch when it is warm enough (which has only been 2 days in the month we have had him). We live about 1/2 mile from a river and I think that is why we do not see the cooper hawk much but I am always on the lookout from him. We have a lot of birds here because we are in between the Chesapeake Bay and the Atlantic. I think it is truly one of the most beautiful places but I am a water person. I love the birds we have here and speaking of finches I had 4 purple finches and 1 yellow one at the feeder yesterday!

9. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-16-2016), Mare (03-16-2016), spiritbird (03-16-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Wouldn't you be more likely to have eagles where you live?

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    No Cooper's here but we do have Peregrin Falcons and Sparrowhawks
    Generally in the garden we see finches and tits, robins and wrens, sparrows and dunnocks, blackbirds and thrushes, collared doves and wood pigeons (who are nest sitting in the Yew tree).
    Oh and the jackdaws in the chimney pot, always noisy, fighting, dropping things on the conservatory roof when I am working in there. Before we put the log burner in, the chimney pot next to the one they nest in was open (it now has a cowl on it) and a couple of times if there was a thunderstorm at night we would come down stairs in the morning to big black birds kicking soot all around the living room and knocking things over.
    As there have been jackdaws nesting up there since long before we moved here in 1975 we reckon they have squatters rights.
    The first thing Casper does when we go outside with him is to scan the sky to make sure it is safe.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

12. The following 2 users like this post:

Mare (03-16-2016), mdg1109 (03-17-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Wow, you have quite a selection of species in your area, Jean-Pierre! Are Jackdaws similar to a raven? I think it's fairly instinctual for these guys to check out the skies for other air traffic,,it becomes a concern when it's bigger than them!

14. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-16-2016), mdg1109 (03-17-2016)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Random internet pics:
    Jackdaws are quite petite as crows go enabling more of them to fit around the lip of a chimney pot arguing and fighting.

Ravens are much bigger and need something like the Tower of London to roost on.

(they are not really two storeys tall, he is closer to the camera)
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

16. The following user likes this post:

Mare (03-17-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Thanks! Interesting looking birds, so they are more like a crow but with unusual coloring..sorta sooty