User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outdoor Enrichment

Banned

Outdoor Enrichment

Warmer day's are coming time to make plans for some safe outdoors fresh air and sunshine. Been wanting to get my birds an outdoor Aviary for so long, I finally got one, would love to enclose the whole back yard (if I had money to burn) just added this cargo net / fashioned like a hammock , think I'll make a sign Welcome to Margaritaville and hang it on their door. Anyone else making plan's ? Here are some pic's...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FOUR.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	5.8 KB 
ID:	3901Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FIVE.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	5.5 KB 
ID:	3902Click image for larger version. 

Name:	THREE.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	5.9 KB 
ID:	3903Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TWO.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	6.1 KB 
ID:	3904Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ONE.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	5.7 KB 
ID:	3905
    Last edited by The Pinkertons; 03-15-2016 at 09:24 PM.

2. The following 3 users like this post:

lolsavannahh (03-16-2016), Mare (03-16-2016), PlaxMacaws (03-16-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Very nice. Your birds will love the freedom. What do you do with those pink feathers that fall off?

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Its hardly ever warm enough here to make it worth while building a permanent outdoor cage. When we do get a nice day Casper's cage is dragged out of the front door so he can get some vitamin D.

Name:	IMG_4545.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	3906

The rest of the time he just gets a quarter of an hour sitting on a shoulder before we both go in doors to warm up again.

He also occasionally gets to spend some time in the Magnolia tree if we are sitting in the garden and can supervise.

Name:	Casper in the garden 2.jpg 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	3907
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

5. The following 4 users like this post:

Mare (03-16-2016), mdg1109 (03-16-2016), PlaxMacaws (03-16-2016), spiritbird (03-16-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    I love your cage, Suzanne..what are you using as a shade cover? Tim brought this one home, a few years back..it was used as someone's breeding macaws cage . Sassy enjoys it, more so when butthead isn't hassling her, though.

We use palm fronds to shade part of it.

7. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-16-2016), mdg1109 (03-16-2016), PlaxMacaws (03-16-2016)

Parrots

1 1/2 year old DNA tested male Lovebird- Nash
    Ah I love it! I have been dying to make an aviary for my baby! Looks fantastic!
    http://www.preciselyparrots.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3935&d=1458826196

Banned

Butthead

Quote Originally Posted by Mare View Post
    I love your cage, Suzanne..what are you using as a shade cover? Tim brought this one home, a few years back..it was used as someone's breeding macaws cage . Sassy enjoys it, more so when butthead isn't hassling her, though.

We use palm fronds to shade part of it.

Butthead ! I love it ! it's a match stick bamboo rollup blind @ "Home depot" I just cut off the cords. The inexpensive one

10. The following 2 users like this post:

Mare (03-16-2016), PlaxMacaws (03-16-2016)

Banned

Pink Feathers

Quote Originally Posted by spiritbird View Post
    Very nice. Your birds will love the freedom. What do you do with those pink feathers that fall off?
    I COULD MAKE COOL JEWELRY WITH THEM BUT THE TRUTH IS ... I sweep them up and throw them in the trash with the rest of the mess they make.
    Last edited by The Pinkertons; 03-16-2016 at 04:38 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    Its hardly ever warm enough here to make it worth while building a permanent outdoor cage. When we do get a nice day Casper's cage is dragged out of the front door so he can get some vitamin D.

Name:	IMG_4545.jpg 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	3906

The rest of the time he just gets a quarter of an hour sitting on a shoulder before we both go in doors to warm up again.

He also occasionally gets to spend some time in the Magnolia tree if we are sitting in the garden and can supervise.

Name:	Casper in the garden 2.jpg 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	3907
    Casper is a very lucky bird, I am amazed how You and Mare's birds do not fly away, I wish I could let mine fly free . Casper is Beautiful, is he a Blue Fronted Amazon.

13. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-17-2016), PlaxMacaws (03-16-2016)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Yes he's a BFA who doesn't fly unless he really has to, far preferring the use of Mum or Dad's taxi (shoulder) to get where he wants to go.
    He has only spooked once when outdoors, at an outdoor luncheon hosted by my Mother's care home. He just flew about ten feet, I could see him looking over his shoulder wondering how he was going to turn around and come back. Realising his flying lessons hadn't reached the page about making U turns he just landed on the grass and started walking back.
    We don't take him near the road outside the house in case he flies in front of a passing truck or bus and we don't let him walk about in the garden (he has to stay in his tree) in case he wanders out of the gate.
    In places where there is no traffic we are more relaxed about having him on our shoulders but are very careful on the boat as I would hate for him to try and land on the water and have to jump in to save him.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

15. The following 3 users like this post:

Lady (03-18-2016), Mare (03-16-2016), PlaxMacaws (03-16-2016)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    Yes he's a BFA who doesn't fly unless he really has to, far preferring the use of Mum or Dad's taxi (shoulder) to get where he wants to go.
    He has only spooked once when outdoors, at an outdoor luncheon hosted by my Mother's care home. He just flew about ten feet, I could see him looking over his shoulder wondering how he was going to turn around and come back. Realising his flying lessons hadn't reached the page about making U turns he just landed on the grass and started walking back.
    We don't take him near the road outside the house in case he flies in front of a passing truck or bus and we don't let him walk about in the garden (he has to stay in his tree) in case he wanders out of the gate.
    In places where there is no traffic we are more relaxed about having him on our shoulders but are very careful on the boat as I would hate for him to try and land on the water and have to jump in to save him.
    Casper reminds me of my Galah, KIWI R.I.P ... She is Sorley missed. Bentley once flew over my 2 story house (and this was with flights clipped) into the middle of the street, thank God he didn't get hit by a car. I almost had a heart attack, I ran around the corner afraid of what I might find, there he was standing in the middle of the street. A woman was coming out of her house to stanch him up! I grabbed him up so fast, the lady say's oh is that your bird! I replied YESSS HE IS. But Kiwi would follow me around outside while I did gardening, Didn't have much interest in flying the coop! in my neck of the wood's theirs hawks, and feral cat's that's another issue to be concerned about.

17. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-17-2016), PlaxMacaws (03-17-2016)