User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping On Food Bowl

Parrots

Charlie-2 year old lesser sulphur crested citron cockatoo Peanut -1 year old White Bellied Caique

Sleeping On Food Bowl

Good morning! I do not understand why Charlie is sleeping on his food bowl, I thought birds liked to perch up high at night? As you can see (hopefully) he has a perch that he was sleeping on when we got him from the breeder. I know he is sleeping on his food bowl because is where most of his droppings are in the morning when I uncover him. Any thoughts or suggestions? I apologize for the picture being sideways, I cannot figure out how to edit it when I take it from my phone and send it to my email to upload

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2510.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	3897

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    When Casper goes into his cage for the night he first of all has a hearty snack and then goes up to his sleeping perch where he will "alert" us to the fact that he needs covering up. However, as soon as his cage is covered he goes down and has more to eat, giggling and muttering like a naughty schoolkid.
    Perhaps Charlie likes a midnight snack as well but hasn't yet got the hang of navigating around his cage in the dark properly, so he stays next to his dish.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

3. The following 3 users like this post:

kendrafitz (03-15-2016), lolsavannahh (03-16-2016), Mare (03-16-2016)

Parrots

Charlie-2 year old lesser sulphur crested citron cockatoo Peanut -1 year old White Bellied Caique
    Thank you Jean-Pierre I never thought of it that way, maybe a nightlight would help him!

Parrots

Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2510.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	3900

I cant tell from the pic but is there no way for his butt to be hanging over that bowl when he sits on the top perch?
    Thanks,
    Bill
    &

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    I was wondering the same thing Bill.
    Rosie & Kendra

Banned

It looks like bird poop on the perch above the food bowl , take off the yellow perch put a manzanita or other natural branch going from end to end fashioned (T) pattern, also the top perch is really not a good choice for the health of your birds feet over time dowel perches like that can create pressure sores( AKA Bumble foot), look for natural perches that are irregular, in nature if you look at tree branches they are not perfectly smooth, place the center (Top) perch between the food and water bowls so when perching up high the poop hits the cross perch instead of food bowl. I also notice that you have quite a few sand paper perches. Which could over time irritate your birds feet. I hope this helps
    Like this=http://www.perchfactory.com/default.htm their pretty common you can find natural perches at most bird supplys
    Last edited by The Pinkertons; 03-15-2016 at 07:10 PM.

8. The following user likes this post:

Mare (03-16-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Amigo and Sassy have natural perches in their cage, also rope perches. They seem to prefer their rope perch for sleeping. That's where I find them in the morning, anyways

10. The following 2 users like this post:

mdg1109 (03-18-2016), The Pinkertons (03-16-2016)

Parrots

1 1/2 year old DNA tested male Lovebird- Nash
    Nash will sleep wherever he is when I cover him.. So if he's eating and I happen to cover him he will be in or right next to his food bowl in the morning as well. I always make sure to put him in his spot before covering, so maybe that could be it! He just may not know how to navigate back up there..

But it could be that he is just pooping into his food bowl from the top perch like those guys said
    http://www.preciselyparrots.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3935&d=1458826196

Parrots

Thanks for all the help! His perch at the top moves so the poop could be landing there, I am hoping that is the case I never thought of that.

Thank you for the input about the perches, it makes sense about the tree branches. I am also going to check into a rope perch.

When I got to cover him up at night he tries to get me to take him out so I am going to try and put him on his top perch from now on when I cover him at night, thank you for that Savannah!

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    My birds love to eat. They eat from their food bowls and get so full they both fall asleep there. There is always poop in these bowls. I have been waking them up when I see them sleeping there. Both sleep high up at night.