User Tag List

Thread: Spinach, Watermelon and Pomegranates

Parrots

Charlie-2 year old lesser sulphur crested citron cockatoo Peanut -1 year old White Bellied Caique

Spinach, Watermelon and Pomegranates

Good morning all. My husband just planted spinach in our garden (apparantely spinach likes cold weather) and I am getting excited for spring/summer so I was just wondering if anyone has given their 2's spinach, watermelon or pomegranates?

So far Charlie has liked:

Squash
    Carrots (his favorite)
    Apples
    Sweet Potato
    Corn

So far he hasn't really shown an interest in:
    Blueberries
    Zucchini
    Pineapple

I am not giving up on the last three because the breeder we got him from said that you have to try things more than a few times before they show their interest.

I am open to suggestions or ideas!

Thank you!

Parrots

Greenwing macaws,Blue and Gold macaws,Calico macaws.Military macaws,Severe macaw,Hahns macaw,firey shouldered conures,Sun conures,Blue crowned conure,Blackwinged jardine,Greater jardine,Quakers,Congo african greys,Jenday conure,goldcapped conure and SI eclectus
    Try canteloupe,honeydew,grapes are always a hit.Kale is a fantastic source of all knds of good things.Peas,carrots,broccolli,basically anything a kid would hate.
    "Ivo"

3. The following 3 users like this post:

Lady (03-13-2016), Mare (03-16-2016), mdg1109 (03-14-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Be careful and try not to feed spinach too often to your bird. This is why:

Oxalate (oxalic acid) is an organic acid that efficiently binds calcium and other trace minerals, making them unavailable to the bird. The highest levels of oxalates are found in tea, spinach and rhubarb. Potentially toxic levels are found in the leaves of rhubarb and the houseplant, diffenbachia. High levels of oxalates can cause vomiting, diarrhea, poor blood clotting and convulsions. Lower levels can result in decreased growth, poor bone mineralization and kidney stones. Feeding some spinach occasionally will not cause problems, however if a bird consumes enough of it daily, it might present a problem.

If you make a fresh chop of mixed fresh veggies you may be able to give him a taste of halved blueberries. He may learn to like them that way.
    Last edited by spiritbird; 03-13-2016 at 04:36 PM.

5. The following 2 users like this post:

Mare (03-16-2016), mdg1109 (03-16-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Whatever I buy for us that is fresh, organic and on the safe list I allow Lady to try. She enjoys eating from my plate so when I have something she hasn't had before or in sometime I always put it on my plate and make all kinds of sounds of enjoyment while pretending to eat it, unless of course I am eating it .

7. The following 3 users like this post:

Mare (03-16-2016), mdg1109 (03-14-2016), Penny (03-15-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    I imaging our birds think if we eat it, it must be OK for them.

9. The following 2 users like this post:

Mare (03-16-2016), mdg1109 (03-14-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)

Parrots

Sun conure, Black crowned conure, Yellow sided conure, and an IRN
    I can't get my gang to show much interest in spinach at all. Veggie wise, they love broccoli and corn, but that's about it for veggies. I do keep offering though. All it takes is one bird taking a bite and not dying on the spot to make the rest of them think it's okay. I've tried to get them to eat sweet potatoes, but never cooked, so that's something I need to try. (My babies always love it when I mix sweet potato baby food in with their formula.)

Fruit is a big hit around here, with me and the birds. I can't wait until those big old Posey County canteloupes hit this summer, and watermelon at it's peak. I cannot get any of mine to show any interest in grapes, but that is something I love and keep on hand at all times, so I will keep trying. They do love raisins. I also buy a dried mix with coconut, pineapple, banana chips and gold raisins that they love to eat, but I also cut up fresh apple and pear for them every day. Every one of my birds has a tendency to eat the pear first when offered with other treats.

I buy organic honey granola with coconut and sprinkle on top of the treats for the day, and they really love that.

I haven't tried pasta yet, other than rice, and I tried that repeatedly and no one showed any interest at all.

They are all on pellet now - even little Lucy is eating some pellet now that I found the smallest size Roudybush, and they each get a nutriberry every day.

12. The following user likes this post:

mdg1109 (03-16-2016)

Parrots

Charlie-2 year old lesser sulphur crested citron cockatoo Peanut -1 year old White Bellied Caique
    Thank you for all the great information. Dianne thank you for posting that about the spinach. I haven't tried grapes yet with Charlie, I am going to try them this week. He takes a few days to warm up to new foods.

I finally caught onto the idea of trying it first and making all kinds of sounds that way Charlie would be interested. That is how I got him to try the corn on the cobb.

Thank you for all of the wonderful ideas.

14. The following user likes this post:

The Pinkertons (03-14-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Sassy and Amigo love watermelon and pomegranate seeds! I've tried spinach but neither of them had any interest which I suppose is just as well

Parrots

I want grocery shopping today and stocked up on some kale (not only for Charlie but so I can make Kale chips). I also got a little container of cantaloupe. I tried a grape this evening with him but he did not really seem interested, I will have to try, try again. I think I am going to try and make him some birdie bread this weekend.

He reminds me of my sons when they were babies, I had to try a new baby food with them before they really liked it or not. Also my sons are completely different. My 10 year old likes most vegetables but is not a big fruit fan, where as my 5 year old loves most fruits but will not touch any green vegetables (actually he will not eat most vegetables )

I am ready for summer and for fresh fruits and veggies from our back yard and from our local farmers market!

17. The following user likes this post:

Mare (03-16-2016)