Genus: Callocephalon | Species: fimbriatum
    Size:
    33-35cm (12.8-13.6 in)
    Weight:
    240-330g (8.4-11.5 oz.)
    Races including nominate:
    one
    Colourization Adult:
    Male-in general dark grey, the feathers scalloped pale grey/white; bright orange/red crest and head; secondary coverts suffused dull green; dark grey tail. Bill horn in colour. Eye dark brown. Female-dark grey head and crest; upperparts strongly barred with pale yellow, underparts heavily barred orange to green/yellow; undertail barred grey/white.
    Colourization Juvenile:
    As in female but with more red in crest (male) and dark grey crest (female); crest shorter with less filaments; more evident barring on tail.

The gang-gang cockatoo was most often allied with the white cockatoos of the genus Cacatua. This has always been controversial due to the unusual appearance and coloration of the bird, especially its sexual dichromatism. New research has finally resolved the matter, with the gang-gang cockatoo being recognized as a distinctive early offshoot of the calyptorhynchine (dark) cockatoos. Considering the robust phylogeny of the cockatoos now established, a comparison of characters gained and lost during the evolution of cockatoos suggests that the gang-gang cockatoo—while of course much changed and adapted during the perhaps 20 million years since its last common ancestor with any other living species lived—is probably still very similar in overall appearance to how the earliest cockatoos would have looked, and certainly the most primitive-looking of the species alive today.
    Call:
    Described as croaking screech. Soft growling while feeding
    Did You Know?
    The Gang-gang is one of only two cockatoos (the other being Major Mitchell's) with red anywhere on its head.

2. The following 6 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-12-2016), kendrafitz (03-12-2016), lolsavannahh (03-12-2016), Mare (03-12-2016), PlaxMacaws (03-13-2016), spiritbird (03-12-2016)

My old work has a couple of these who just had a couple of babies not long ago. They're beautiful little guys.

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Are the different types of cockatoo specific to certain areas or are they found right across the region?
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

What do you mean by region exactly? There aren't a lot of toos (or any) in the middle of the country, and some are more common in some parts of the coast than in others. As well, there is almost certainly a difference in species distribution between the western and eastern parts of the country. Gang gangs, so far as I recall, are only found to the south of the eastern coast, in NSW and VIC. Up my way, SE QLD, I get a lot of sulphur crested cockatoos and short-billed corellas, as well as a certain type of galah. Once while hiking I spotted a yellow-tailed black cockatoo. I wish I'd gotten a photo of him.

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Yep, that was the information I was after, some are East Coast types, some West Coast etc.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LunaLovebird View Post
    What do you mean by region exactly? There aren't a lot of toos (or any) in the middle of the country, and some are more common in some parts of the coast than in others. As well, there is almost certainly a difference in species distribution between the western and eastern parts of the country. Gang gangs, so far as I recall, are only found to the south of the eastern coast, in NSW and VIC. Up my way, SE QLD, I get a lot of sulphur crested cockatoos and short-billed corellas, as well as a certain type of galah. Once while hiking I spotted a yellow-tailed black cockatoo. I wish I'd gotten a photo of him.
    That is awesome, I am enchanted with Australia