User Tag List

Thread: DIY aviary?

Parrots

1 1/2 year old DNA tested male Lovebird- Nash

DIY aviary?

So I think this summer/late spring an aviary outside for Nash would be awesome.. but I do have a few questions.

Since he's so small, I would need something with extremely small bar spacing ( So he can't get out and big things can't get in ) I guess, so what would you guys recommend? It obviously needs to be very sturdy.... I can't think of anything that would work to be honest.

How would a door situation work? If I open it while he's out I'm afraid he might try to fly out and escape! How could I rig it so he can't fly out while I'm entering or exiting?

Also if any of you have aviaries post a pic in the comments I'd love to see them!
    http://www.preciselyparrots.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3935&d=1458826196

Parrots

Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
    How would a door situation work? If I open it while he's out I'm afraid he might try to fly out and escape! How could I rig it so he can't fly out while I'm entering or exiting?
    Two doors, only one open at a time.
    Thanks,
    Bill
    &

3. The following user likes this post:

lolsavannahh (03-12-2016)

Parrots

Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
    As for cage material, I personally would go with a galvanized mesh if I was watching cost and stainless steel mesh if I wasn't. I wouldnt think that the galvanized would be an issue as it is with a small cage since the bird will be flying around and not clinging to the mesh. If it was a concern to you you could build the cage out of galvanized mesh and line the cage with netting to keep the bird off of it.

Stainless is expensive but not prohibitively, in my opinion. You could make a good size aviary with a roll of the SS stuff.

Here's an example of stainless, http://www.twpinc.com/wire-mesh-mate...-diameter-t304

and galvanized, http://www.twpinc.com/wire-mesh-mate...d-16-gauge-063
    Thanks,
    Bill
    &

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lolsavannahh View Post
    So I think this summer/late spring an aviary outside for Nash would be awesome.. but I do have a few questions.

Since he's so small, I would need something with extremely small bar spacing ( So he can't get out and big things can't get in ) I guess, so what would you guys recommend? It obviously needs to be very sturdy.... I can't think of anything that would work to be honest.

How would a door situation work? If I open it while he's out I'm afraid he might try to fly out and escape! How could I rig it so he can't fly out while I'm entering or exiting?.

Also if any of you have aviaries post a pic in the comments I'd love to see them!
    Amazon.com search outdoor aviaries, they have a good selection of them for small birds. YouTube search how to build aviaries for small birds. Galvanized after weld aka GAW is the wire mesh preferred by aviculturists for parrots . wire mesh comes in different sizes. Don't use chicken wire if your bird chews the wire could get zinc poising.

6. The following user likes this post:

lolsavannahh (03-12-2016)