User Tag List

Thread: Sick cockatiel taking antibiotics acting strangely

Sick cockatiel taking antibiotics acting strangely

So my sweet bird, Elvis, has a upper respiratory infection. The vet gave me Ciprofloaxin to give him twice a day. Naturally, Elvis HATES this, and I feel absolutely terrible forcing him to take it. However, after I pet him and put him back in his cage, he acts really weird. He closes his eyes, and grasps onto the side of his cage with his beak and doesn't let go. Does anyone know if this is a normal reaction? Is he nauseous? What can I do to help him out? This is breaking my heart. Any advice would help us! Thank you in advance!

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Hello and welcome to PP. Sorry your post is not a happy one with Elvis. I love that name! Cipro is a rather strong antibiotic for a bird so I would call the vet that prescribed it and let him or her know about this reaction. I also suggest a probiotic along with the Cipro. http://www.amazon.com/Avitech-AviBio...vian+probiotic Are you giving the medication via syringe? That is the best way but can be difficult. Make sure your bird is in the upright position when you give it.

3. The following user likes this post:

Mare (03-06-2016)

Thanks for responding! He seems to be feeling better now, I think he really hates me giving it to him. He is eating and playing normally, I think I just maybe traumatized him at first. I did give it to him like that, but he really hated being towel wrapped like that.

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    How long do you give the medication? Usually it is about 10 days. I had to give a budgie Amphotericin B for a month like that and it was no fun for my little guy. Hope your birds gets well. Don't forget about pro-biotics. Or ask you vet is you should be giving them.

My first thought from his reaction was that maybe he was feeling a tiny bit dizzy? It could make sense with a respiratory illness then the excitement of getting his meds, then it would pass as he calmed down. Glad to hear that you have him on antibiotics, and I hope future doses go more smoothly as he gets used to it.
    Penny Sebring | Kiki's Castle
    www.kikiscastle.com
    penny@kikiscastle.com

7. The following 2 users like this post:

Mare (03-06-2016), spiritbird (03-05-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    I'm happy to know Elvis is doing better . Good videos, Dianne..thanks for that! When Amigo was having to be medicated for weeks, it was very traumatic for both of us..ugh..! He finally started to take his syringe med while standing on his perch rather than being wrestled in a towel. I think he realized it was easier that way

9. The following user likes this post:

spiritbird (03-06-2016)