User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bath For LSC2

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Today was a rainy day here and Amigo loves to be out in it, rain on his face is no problem . I've noticed with my other birds that they, at first, don't like the spray bottle but once they get over the initial shock of it..they're ALL in!

Parrots

Charlie-2 year old lesser sulphur crested citron cockatoo Peanut -1 year old White Bellied Caique
    Charlie did better with his bath yesterday. I started off by letting him wander around on the kitchen counter for a bit. I think he is getting used to the idea, but I will probably end up misting him. He absolutely loves the hair dryer and he likes the vacuum too.

3. The following 2 users like this post:

Mare (03-09-2016), spiritbird (03-09-2016)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    When Casper first came to us he hadn't had a bath for at least ten years and got quite angry when we tried to spray him. We have tried him in the sink with the tap running but all he wanted to do was climb out so next we tried him in the bath with the shower attachment which he was more OK with. Recently Margaret bought a spray bottle that sprays a very fine mist and he absolutely loves that. So it pays to experiment.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

5. The following user likes this post:

Mare (03-09-2016)

Banned

Bentley's modest about his showers, I have to stand far back and mist, then he will open his wings up and bow wiggle his tail feathers. Bella exhibits great pleasure in shower time. "Weather permitting" outside in their aviary, I use the garden hose set on a soft soaking rain, I raise the hose high in the sky so it fall's like a natural rain shower. then I leave them alone (in aviary) to dry off and preen in natural "filtered sunlight", They don't like me to blast water in their face, and I don't either, I try to emulate a natural gentle rainfall , if I stand far back they enjoy it more, I guess they like their privacy, I try to respect their needs.
    I don't like anyone watching me shower and drying off anyway every bird is different just like people, as another poster said just have to experiment.
    Last edited by The Pinkertons; 03-08-2016 at 09:42 PM.

7. The following 2 users like this post:

kendrafitz (03-08-2016), Mare (03-09-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Suzanne, most of Amigos showers are with the spray hose, too .

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    You should see how Linnies react to my fine mist spray. They open wings and hang upside down to get every little feather exposed to the water. It's hard to get a video and spray at the same time. The finest spray I could find was in the amphibian department of a pet store.

10. The following user likes this post:

Mare (03-10-2016)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mare View Post
    Suzanne, most of Amigos showers are with the spray hose, too .

12. The following user likes this post:

Mare (03-10-2016)

When Kiki was still brand new we were brand new to owning birds of our own. We read all the stories about how to introduce parrots to showers so they don't get afraid and my husband set up a perch just outside the shower so she could see that the shower wouldn't hurt her. We were planning on using her in-shower perch the next time. She decided waiting was unneeded and flew right over and landed on my hubby's shoulder to enjoy the spray! Left a few marks on his shoulder and we got a laugh and learned a valuable lesson. Never expect your parrot to do what you expect...
    Penny Sebring | Kiki's Castle
    www.kikiscastle.com
    penny@kikiscastle.com

14. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-10-2016), kendrafitz (03-10-2016), Mare (03-10-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

I love that, Penny! Great story! Reading is nothing like experiencing, for sure

16. The following user likes this post:

Penny (03-13-2016)