User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bath For LSC2

Parrots

Charlie-2 year old lesser sulphur crested citron cockatoo Peanut -1 year old White Bellied Caique

Red face Bath For LSC2

Hello all:

Just a general question about how often to bathe Charlie? The breeder said in the winter time 2-3 times a week to help keep his skin moist and then in the summer at least twice a week.

I have not noticed him developing the powder yet that cockatoos develop but I have given him a bath and he really did not seem to enjoy it. I ran the tap in my kitchen sink on lukewarm water and let the water drip on him. He was not to crazy about it and actually tried to climb out of the sink. The crazy thing is that he likes the blow dryer though!

I think I will mist him next time but I am afraid of getting his face wet.

Thanks for any advice!

Michelle & Charlie

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Why are you concerned about getting his face wet? Check out this article https://theparrotuniversity.com/bath...ng-pet-parrots

Parrots

Charlie-2 year old lesser sulphur crested citron cockatoo Peanut -1 year old White Bellied Caique
    Good morning, Alice:

I was concerned because I watched a video on Youtube about how to give him a bath and it said not to get his face wet. Thank you for posting this link, it is very helpful and informative. I think I am going to try and do the shower with him. I will follow the stops on the link you provided and try it that way. I do not want him to be afraid of the water and the breeder I got him from had giving him baths so I don't know what is going on.

Thanks again.

4. The following user likes this post:

Lady (03-05-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    It is best to take him in the bathroom a few times with you just so he can hear the water running and know you are under the water. Shower perches will be a necessity in this case. Next step would be to have him in the shower with you but not so he gets directly in the water. Next step is to let him get wet. Try to make it fun for him and have some treats available. You can even get him used to the sound of the hair dryer and eventually dry him like that on medium to low heat setting.

Parrots

Dianne it is the funniest thing, he loves the hair dryer. After I have bathed him in the sink I have turned the dryer on warm and let him sit in my lap while I dry him with the dryer and he loves it, he sits still and actually seems to enjoy it.

7. The following user likes this post:

spiritbird (03-04-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    When I dried the grey Rosie she would turn her rear to the drier and seems to love the air flow.

9. The following user likes this post:

mdg1109 (03-04-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    No need to worry about getting Charlie's face wet! . I believe it's good for these guys/gals!

Parrots

Thank you Mare. It is bath day for Charlie today so I am going to try and just put a little bit of lukewarm water in the kitchen sink and see how he does with that.

Parrots

Tika (U2) Amanda (U2) Jalepeno (Parrotlet) Whitey (E. Budgie) Ashley (A. Budgie) Jazmalina (A. budgie) Many others at the rainbow bridge.
    Use the blowdryer to your advantage. What I do is start up the blowdryer and then start spraying mist into the air stream ( now it's "raining"). Just a little at first, then more etc. You might even fire up the vacuum on top of all that to get him even more interested.

Amanda loves the spray point blank range right in the face. If I aim elsewhere she moves to get back in place.
    Last edited by JLcribber; 03-07-2016 at 11:47 PM.

13. The following 2 users like this post:

Mare (03-08-2016), mdg1109 (03-09-2016)

Banned

The sink may be what is scary for your bird, a spray bottle set on a fine mist while on their perch or in the cage, mist from above like a fine misty rain, keep away from drafts, do this early in the day you don't need a blow dryer, in nature no one is blow drying their feathers. but I guess if your bird loves it then go for it!

15. The following user likes this post:

Mare (03-08-2016)