User Tag List

Thread: Sweet Potatoes To Cook Or Not To Cook

Parrots

Charlie-2 year old lesser sulphur crested citron cockatoo Peanut -1 year old White Bellied Caique

Sweet Potatoes To Cook Or Not To Cook

So the breeder I got Charlie (LSC2) from said that I should not give him raw sweet potatoes, she said to microwave them first? I eat raw sweet potatoes and as far as I know it is OK. Should I be cooking them for Charlie.

Also, has anyone given their bird corn on the cob? I went to BJ's wholesale club and got mini corn on the cobs thinking I could cut them in half and he would have fun with them.

So far he loves apples, carrots, and he actually ate the squash I gave him yesterday.

Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    I feed corn on the cob when it is in season. It seems softer than what is in a freezer. I cook it first. This web pages suggest cooking a sweet potato in microwave but not all the way. http://www.birdsnways.com/wisdom/ww14eiv.htm

The corn has a high amount of carbs so if a bird is too heavy corn would not be the best food to feed. Same goes for humans.

3. The following user likes this post:

mdg1109 (03-04-2016)

Parrots

Charlie-2 year old lesser sulphur crested citron cockatoo Peanut -1 year old White Bellied Caique
    Thanks Dianne! So far he is good on weight but he is almost 4 months old so that could change. I was only planning on doing the corn once or twice a week. We have really good fresh corn in the summer here on the Eastern Shore of Maryland, I am ready for summer!

Thank you for posting the link, I appreciate the help

5. The following user likes this post:

spiritbird (03-04-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Hi Michelle,

I haven't tried raw sweet potatoes but I have found information that states "Sweet potatoes and yams can be cooked and mashed or fed raw or grated into other foods". I'm sure you will find some say one thing and others say the opposite, but I haven't seen any information that says either way it would harm them.

This is the site I quoted the above statement from, you can find information on veggies among other things: http://www.theparrotandbirdemporium....tm?id=0u7u7e5t

7. The following user likes this post:

mdg1109 (03-04-2016)

Parrots

Thank you so much Alice! I know what to stay away from such as avacados, chocolate, caffeine etc. but like you said some websites or people say one thing and others say another thing. I am following my rule of thumb which is if I won't eat it raw I am not going to give it to Charlie raw. Since he is only almost 4 months old I am slowly introducing him to new things.

Thanks again for posting the link, now I can reference it if I have a question.

9. The following user likes this post:

Lady (03-04-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    I do partially cook sweet taters and cut in small pieces or grate to mix in the cooked foods. If they are cooked until soft the mash sticks to my birds beaks a little too much like paste. You do have good corn in the ES. Also all those fantastic melons. Last summer on a bus trip we stopped at a produce stand and I brought home the most delicious watermelon I have ever eaten. So good for the birds too.

11. The following user likes this post:

mdg1109 (03-04-2016)

Parrots

Yellow shouldered Amazon, Salty
    Salty gets sweet potatoes all the time almost two or three times a week but always cooked never raw. He loves them.
    HI , I am Salty, a yellow shouldered Amazon, hatched June 15, 2015. I will be a pirate someday, just like my daddy!

Parrots

Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
    I steam them, takes only a minute.

Sent from my Droid Turbo 2 using Tapatalk
    Thanks,
    Bill
    &