User Tag List

Thread: Gcc questions

Gcc questions

Iv been interested in getting a green cheek conure ever since seeing one at the pet store. and I have a couple questions I was hoping someone might be able to help me with. Once I read a story online where someone had a gcc and it was very sweet, then they couldn't spend much time with it for a couple days. After that it hated them. I can't find the story anymore, but does this sound like something that could happen? I liked going on walks with my cockateil on my shoulder, could I do that with a gcc? Are they so nippy that they would bite my ear off? Also how loud are they? I have heard of them being called quiet, but then other people say they are loud like other conures. I'm looking for generalizations, I know all birds are individuals, but you wouldn't recommend a cockatoo to someone who wants a indepwndent quiet bird for their apartment would you? don't worry, I know all birds can be different.

Parrots

1 1/2 year old DNA tested male Lovebird- Nash
    Unfortunately with birds.. it's hard to make generalizations because like you said, they are all different.

Any type of bird can definately have mood swings and hormones, and if they are bonded strongly with you and you only and then suddenly you leave, it can stress them out a lot! You are their flock and you need to realize that when you're gone, they don't know if or when you're coming back so most of the time they expect the worst. They are not domesticated and so they don't belong in a cage, especially for days on end. The story you said could absolutely happen, and I'ms sure it does a lot. Birds need companionship from their human and you have to give them several hours of it every single day.
    Even if their wings are clipped ( Which I don't recommend ) they could still get a gust of wind to take them away, so if you go outside with them they need to be in a carrier or need to have a harness on. Harness training can be a long and aggravating process, and you need to make sure your bird trusts you completely before you even try to start. If your bird is not harness trained then they cannot go outside period without a cage. I have heard of lots of birds being able to fly off when a gust of wind picks them up.
    All birds can and will be loud and if noise is a problem for you, don't get a bird.. I'm not trying to be mean, but even budgies can have ear piercingly loud noises. You cannot train them to not be loud, and they will do it whenever they please whether it's good for you or not. Conures especially don't have a 'beautiful' sound for say, so don't expect to be able to go to sleep to the sound of it. Birds are loud when they want something, and unlike people, they cannot talk to tell you what it is they want. Your bird will scream for hours and you won't even know why sometimes, and it's frustrating and not very pleasant. Are you willing to put up with this?
    Rescuing a bird is so much more rewarding and more of a bonding experience then to buy one from a pet store or even a breeder. These birds have gone through a few homes usually and have amazing personalities that you won't find from a baby in the store. There are so many birds that need homes and that need love and a good home, and if you are looking for a bird, definately check out some rescues near you. Everyone wants a baby bird, but older birds can be just as fun!

Please do some more research before you bring you even look into rescues though, there's still a lot to learn!
    Last edited by lolsavannahh; 02-29-2016 at 04:00 AM.
    http://www.preciselyparrots.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3935&d=1458826196