User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nike Talking

Parrots

Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)

Nike Talking

I've read that Hawk Heads aren't great talkers in that their words aren't as clear as other parrots and that seems to be the case with Nike. She is getting more vocal daily. She is very good at mimicking sounds and will immediately mimic sounds I make when she's in the mood but she hasn't picked up any new words. Her "night, night" was new today and something that we never say. It's as if her old vocabulary is coming back to her the more comfortable she gets. So Far we've heard four phrases, What's up, Whatcha doin, and Night, Night, and Night Night Nike.

Thanks,
    Bill
    &

2. The following 5 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-12-2016), Lady (02-28-2016), lolsavannahh (03-12-2016), Mare (03-05-2016), PlaxMacaws (03-12-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Aw what a gem Nike is. I love her cute little voice. Wish I could be there to interact with her. Thanks for showing us.

Parrots

Thanks, she's on a roll, this morning she said "Hi Nike" and "Pretty bird".
    Thanks,
    Bill
    &

5. The following 3 users like this post:

kendrafitz (02-28-2016), Mare (03-05-2016), spiritbird (02-28-2016)

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    Nike is awesome! What a great talker and so smart. She must be so much fun.

I love that when the phone rang she said, "hello....hi"
    Rosie & Kendra

7. The following 2 users like this post:

Mare (03-05-2016), spiritbird (02-28-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Oh my what a precious voice Nike has. The more I hear about her the more I want to meet a hawkhead in person. Nice perch too, I haven't seen one using the rope before, I think it's a great idea. Seems she prefers it to the wooden bar across the front.

Parrots

Thanks Alice, It is actually kind of a Rube Goldberg playstand, I just keep adding to it. She was perching on the toy hanger and not using her toy so I removed it and added a tall perch. Then I had some extra rope perches so I attached them from the main post to the upper perch ends so that she could easily get down to her food and water. She is constantly up and down the ropes which was my intent in order to give her more exercize. She does occasionally perch on the big rope but mostly she prefers to sit with her back to us on the dowel.

Her voice is kinda stereotypical cartoon parrot I think.
    Thanks,
    Bill
    &

10. The following user likes this post:

Lady (02-28-2016)

Parrots

So as Nike becomes more vocal she is also bring back sounds from her past. I'll try to get a recording of one which I think is a Macaw screech....a sound I wish she would forget . She was housed with a macaw for a number of years.
    Thanks,
    Bill
    &

12. The following user likes this post:

Mare (03-05-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    OH my goodness that sweet little voice doing a Macaw scream! Cant wait to hear it.

14. The following user likes this post:

Mare (03-05-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    She's such a uniquely beautiful bird! Loved the video! Our Sassy goffins will tell Amigo, (when he's going off at night), in a sweet, small voice.."night, night, bird" . Doesn't work..but she tries! Sassy brought quite the vocab with her from her original home and it took awhile for it ALL to come pouring out

Parrots

She was making a lot of noise today but I have spared you all of that and just took a short piece of what I shot. She says "Hi Nike, Whatcha doin"

Thanks,
    Bill
    &

17. The following 5 users like this post:

kendrafitz (03-12-2016), Lady (03-12-2016), lolsavannahh (03-12-2016), Mare (03-12-2016), PlaxMacaws (03-12-2016)