User Tag List

Thread: My Red-belly called Rufi was imprinted at he aviary believes he is a human!

Parrots

Red-belly Poicephalus rufiventris

My Red-belly called Rufi was imprinted at he aviary believes he is a human!

Has anyone owned a imprinted parrot? Or heard about this? My Red-belly parrot was imprinted and he is free to roam our house all day and sleeps in his living room cage at night. He talks quite well, loves kisses and can't get close enough to us. He eats all meals with us. The experts says an imprinted bird thinks it is a human. I believe that is true. Any feedback about this? Imprinting or flying free?
    Last edited by Gene; 07-18-2023 at 08:38 PM.

2. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-20-2023)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Welcome to the forum! My opinion is that birds are flock animals. They are also great imitators. If you have included Rufi in your everyday life and activities, it doesn’t surprise me that he has assimilated some of his behaviour to match yours. I think that too many people don’t credit birds with very much emotional intelligence and that is where you might see “ imprinting” behaviour. Parrots are so much more intune to our moods and behaviour than we think and their need to be part of the human flock can influence how they behave. Just some thoughts.

Can you post any pics of Rufi? I love red-bellies.

Parrots

Red-belly Poicephalus rufiventris
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady2 View Post
    Welcome to the forum! My opinion is that birds are flock animals. They are also great imitators. If you have included Rufi in your everyday life and activities, it doesn’t surprise me that he has assimilated some of his behaviour to match yours. I think that too many people don’t credit birds with very much emotional intelligence and that is where you might see “ imprinting” behaviour. Parrots are so much more intune to our moods and behaviour than we think and their need to be part of the human flock can influence how they behave. Just some thoughts.

Can you post any pics of Rufi? I love red-bellies.

Hi Dragonlady 2

I will try to post some photos of Rufi as soon as I can, I will have to learn how to do this. I am new to this site and it seems to be tricky. I do not see how to upload a photo. Can I get help? Gene

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I believe there is a “sticky” under the help and support thread that explains how to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene View Post

Hi Dragonlady 2

I will try to post some photos of Rufi as soon as I can, I will have to learn how to do this. I am new to this site and it seems to be tricky. I do not see how to upload a photo. Can I get help? Gene
    You can click this button "Insert image" to upload an image.