User Tag List

Thread: Finally!

Parrots

Sun conure, Black crowned conure, Yellow sided conure, and an IRN

Finally!

I was finally able to get all 4 of my lovebirds in one cage! Saffron was my oldest and my problem child, and it took me weeks to integrate her with the other 3.

BUT...it happened at a cost. Saffron was my most tame, but once she joined in with the others, she became very nippy. The other 3 were hand fed but not hand raised, flighty and nippy when I got them. I finished hand feeding them when they were down to 2 hand feedings a day.

I think we lost a lot of ground dealing with a psychotic cockatoo, and none of them got the individual attention they needed, so I am having to start all over in taming them. (I have a pair of Fischers - one is a lutino, a creamino, and a black faced teal.) The Fischers have bonded with each other and the creamino and black faced have bonded with each other.) I have no intentions of breeding (eggs will be removed) unless the Fischers prove to be a pair and reproduce.

Would the taming be easier if I separated them out into "pairs"? They may make my decisions for me as they mature. At what age do lovebirds mature sexually?

They are so adorable and so entertaining, and I love their constant chatter. I told my husband the other day that I could just let them be, and not worry about taming them, if that's the best thing to do with the 4 of them being together.

Parrots

Sun conure, Black crowned conure, Yellow sided conure, and an IRN
    This is my lutino Fischer - isn't she beautiful?

3. The following 4 users like this post:

kendrafitz (02-24-2016), Lady (02-26-2016), Mare (02-24-2016), PlaxMacaws (02-24-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Perhaps the birds are more relaxed because you are more relaxed. What is the birds name in the photo?

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sucre View Post
    This is my lutino Fischer - isn't she beautiful?

Indeed. She is a wonderful match for your rug
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    I've never experienced lovebirds but you sure have a beauty there! I agree with you, let them be themselves unless you are insistent on having companion birds..?..

I would leave them as is and keep an eye on them for now. They generally reach maturity at around 10-12 months. If they do start breeding and getting nesty, you almost certainly will have to separate, as they will get aggressive.

Your lutino is beautiful. I saw a rescue pied peachy up for adoption here the other night. It's taking all my will power not to go down and take a look at him. I know I'd have to bring him home.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Wow what a pretty bird~