User Tag List

Thread: Question

Parrots

1 blue peach-face lovebird named Rio 2 black masked yellow-green lovebirds named Gracie and Mango 1 Budgie blue with white clouds on breast named Cotton and 2 lovebirds named Boo and Pumpkin 1 new budgie female named Lemon

Question

Can non toxic craft paint be used around Birds? I have an old floor light stand that would make agrea standing perch....but needs painted any advice on this...

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Are there any labels on the paint or a way to contact the manufacturer? One time I saw a very old and large coat rack for sale and thought it would have made a nice perch landing for birds but it was too large to fit in my car. Would love to see a photo of the lamp. Nice craft idea.

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    See if you have a company nearby that does powder coating. This is a process whereby the metal item is electrostatically spray-coated with a coloured powder that is then baked on. They use this process on cages because the powder that gets left behind in the spraying can be used again. Much less wasteful than paint spraying. I had the steel wheels on our cars done quite cheeply, I think most of the cost was removing the rust first.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Good question. I would also look for more information about the brand of paint your speaking about. How are you fixing the lamp to use for the birds? Will you be adding any wood perches or just painting and using the lamp as is. A pic and your thoughts of modifying it for the birds would be helpful.

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    A few years back..I bought a large cage for Sassy, I found it on Craigslist. It was looking good and a good price of $199, I believe I paid. On closer inspection, it looked like it had been spray painted. I was concerned about that and folks told me that most of the canned spray paint, today, is safe for my birds. Well, I believed them and Sassy is still going strong.

Don't take my word for it, though. She is SUPERbird!

6. The following user likes this post:

mdg1109 (02-29-2016)

Parrots

5 cockatiels (Emma, Ellie, Nala, two I haven't named yet) 2 parakeets (Lady & Tramp)
    Paints now are typically safe. Aslong as it says it would be safe for a baby. Here is a link that goes into more detail.

https://www.beautyofbirds.com/refinishingcages.html

Ecos paints makes a paint specifically for use with birds, but it's pretty expensive. 4 oz is $19.95, 1 qt $28.95 and $69.95 a gallon.

8. The following user likes this post:

Mare (02-22-2016)

Parrots

1 blue peach-face lovebird named Rio 2 black masked yellow-green lovebirds named Gracie and Mango 1 Budgie blue with white clouds on breast named Cotton and 2 lovebirds named Boo and Pumpkin 1 new budgie female named Lemon
    It's really just a smaller floor lamp that will have dowl rod tee for the little ones to perch on but I do have a 5 foot floor lamp I want to create. For the lovies to all perch on ! Just ideas. They both look antique. Thought it would look neat

10. The following user likes this post:

Mare (02-22-2016)

Parrots