User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know about or heard of HQ Cages?

Parrots

LILO - B&G Macaw

Anyone know about or heard of HQ Cages?

Was at a bird show today and saw some cages that were made by HQ. they looked to be built pretty good, but I don't know that I have heard of them before. I was wondering if anyone has heard of this this brand, if anyone has one, and what they think about them?

The one thing that I don't care much for is the fact that they are built in China. They are of course less money than the other brands.

How do they come pair with A&E and King Cages?

Thanks

Greg

Parrots

Caique- Pickles, Blue throated macaw- Lars, Medium sulphur crested cockatoo- Lilly, Double yellow headed amazon- Babe, Senegel- Rocky, Goffins cockatoo- Pearl, Catalina macaw- Fiesta and many many rescues!
    A&e and hq are almost the same designs, I'd even say they are the same company but I have not found proof of that yet... I like kings cages much more IMO they are built tougher and so on, hq and a n e are just not built as tough in my experiences with them.

3. The following user likes this post:

Gburchett (05-12-2013)

Parrots

Nanday Conure (Rowdy), YCA (Pete) and CAG (Miss Merlin)
    I have some of each.

My HQ is 12 years old so there are definite design differences over the newer ones, but it's still going strong so great quality. Are the newer ones as good? Many reviews say no, and they seem to be more like A&E these days in quality.

I just bought the Kings in December but so far I like it the best as far as quality and powder coating are concerned.

5. The following user likes this post:

Gburchett (05-12-2013)

Parrots

Oh, and HQ, A&E and Kings are all made in the same factory in China. Even the Kings European line is now made in China as well.

7. The following 3 users like this post:

Gburchett (05-12-2013), jtbirds (05-12-2013), mistywaterwoman (05-13-2013)

Parrots

Caique- Pickles, Blue throated macaw- Lars, Medium sulphur crested cockatoo- Lilly, Double yellow headed amazon- Babe, Senegel- Rocky, Goffins cockatoo- Pearl, Catalina macaw- Fiesta and many many rescues!
    The newer HQ cages are really slacking, we bought one for our macaw boo and today when I was cleaning it I noticed so much powder coating wearing already and we've barely had it a year... I defiantly am not for HQs newer line. I still say California made the best cages of them all!

9. The following user likes this post:

Gburchett (05-12-2013)

Parrots

LILO - B&G Macaw
    I take it California cages is no longer in business?

Parrots

No CC went out of business. If you can find an older one, made in Mexico, in good condition, buy it. They weren't as good though the last few years.

If you can afford it, take a look at Expandable Habitats. Otherwise most of us deal with the made in China 3.

12. The following user likes this post:

Gburchett (05-12-2013)

Parrots

No sadly they are not in business, you can find there cages used but the shape of them varies, they were built to last if you maintained them but many did not so they rusted and so on. They made stainless steel models to I've been keeping my eyes open for I'd love to have a few of me!

Sorry was posting as Audrey was.

14. The following user likes this post:

Gburchett (05-12-2013)

Parrots

Just curious, what species of bird are you looking for a cage for? Because that information could change my opinions on what to buy. Cockatoos and large macaws are really hard on cages and can break welds. In that case, I'd go for a Kings due to the drilled (pass through) bars rather than welded bars. And their European line is just plain heavier all the way around compared to their other lines. Big, heavy bars and bar stock.

If you are buying one for a less destructive bird, buy the cage you like provided the bar spacing and size are appropriate.

Parrots

LILO - B&G Macaw
    Quote Originally Posted by roxynoodle View Post
    Just curious, what species of bird are you looking for a cage for? Because that information could change my opinions on what to buy. Cockatoos and large macaws are really hard on cages and can break welds. In that case, I'd go for a Kings due to the drilled (pass through) bars rather than welded bars. And their European line is just plain heavier all the way around compared to their other lines. Big, heavy bars and bar stock.

If you are buying one for a less destructive bird, buy the cage you like provided the bar spacing and size are appropriate.
    Looking at B&G Macaw. I think when we had our Moluccan, we had a Kings Cage.