User Tag List

Thread: How to edit message?

Parrots

5 cockatiels (Emma, Ellie, Nala, two I haven't named yet) 2 parakeets (Lady & Tramp)

How to edit message?

Everytime I try to edit something I've posted, I click on the box to edit and the whole thing deletes?

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    Bird Mom: what is your device type and browser? That shouldn't happen. You say when you "click on the box"... which box are you referring to? Do you mean on the Edit button? Or do you mean within the editor box's edit field? Once you click on the Edit button the editor box should appear. It should have 4 option buttons: Save, Go Advanced, Delete, and Cancel. Do you get that far? And if so, which button do you press and what happens?

And by the way, since the delete actions here are each soft deletes, if you PM me with the thread(s) and the approximate times, I can undelete any of your deleted posts for you.

Lastly, I apologize for responding here so late... the last few days here have been rather hectic for me

EDIT (2/21/16):
    You've not yet responded to my reply. I notice, though, that you continue to encounter the post deletion issue. I've taken the liberty to check and have determined that you are using an Android device (SAMSUNG-SM-G900A). Thus my further question for you is: Are you using the full website interface or the mobile interface when these deletions occur?
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

Parrots

5 cockatiels (Emma, Ellie, Nala, two I haven't named yet) 2 parakeets (Lady & Tramp)
    It was when I was using the mobile version for most of the time and that is when i would try to edit to correct my grammer and the second I clicked on the box containing my message (it was ready to edit and had save edit underneath) the whole message would delete. It got pretty frusterating but now I'm using the Web version and not having the problem. Some times I just delete my comments if I see the post turning to drama since that's not what this site is intended for and I don't want to be sucked into it.

Oh, I also noticed when I was using the mobile version I would click on the control panel and if I tried to click profile it would click "search" which was underneath the profile button. I tried it many times so I know it wasn't that I was clicking the wrong thing.

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    So the unintended post deletions happened with the full site version on your Samsung mobile device? If that's correct, once the edit box appeared the lower button options should have been: Save, Go Advanced, Delete, and Cancel (in that order). Are you saying that you didn't click on any of those buttons but merely tapped within the text entry area of the box and that doing so would cause the message to immediately delete? Lastly, which browser were you using on your mobile device when this was occurring?

Current status: I've checked this site's functionality on my android device using Firefox but cannot duplicate the problem. The edit box and its buttons worked correctly allowing me to edit posts during my testing sessions. As for the mobile site version, once the Control Panel appears, a 'search' field is supposed to appear above the CP button option group. It does for me. The Profile button is one of the buttons below said search field and for me when tapped opens my profile screen as expected. So to shorten the long story, I can't duplicate the behavior you've described for the mobile site version either

My thought at this point is that it may be a scripting conflict between the software on your mobile device and this website. If that's the case I find it interesting that your issues have never been reported to me before considering that there are a lot of Samsung devices out there. If you test again, please let me know if the unwanted behavior seems consistent.

Thanks

Parrots

No it happens only with the mobile version on my phone. I switched it to desktop layout and it's not happening. I use Google Chrome to access the forum.

Administrator

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Bird Mom View Post
    No it happens only with the mobile version on my phone. I switched it to desktop layout and it's not happening. I use Google Chrome to access the forum.
    Hmm, I can't duplicate that either. I just logged in on my android phone using the mobile site version to test this issue. I created a thread and submitted it. I then tapped the pencil icon near the bottom of the post. That brought up the edit box. I then changed the text within the edit box and tapped the save button. Doing so saved my changes without issue. It's peculiar that your device and browser don't produce the same results. I don't have Google Chrome installed on my android phone (and I believe that my phone and its OS are to old to install it - it's still running Gingerbread) or I would install it for testing. The problem may be specific to Google Chrome. You might want to try installing a second browser on your device to see if the problem goes away. If you discover anything please let me know.

Thanks

Parrots

Hmm, that is weird. I did just that but the second I click to type it refreshes the page and my message is deleted. I think I use just Google too and it was happening. Maybe it is just my phone. I've had some problems with it. Thank you for looking into it.

Administrator

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Bird Mom View Post
    Hmm, that is weird. I did just that but the second I click to type it refreshes the page and my message is deleted. I think I use just Google too and it was happening. Maybe it is just my phone. I've had some problems with it. Thank you for looking into it.
    You're welcome. While I can't say this with absolute certainty, it's possible that the calls triggered by your screen taps are being interpreted incorrectly. That's why I think a scripting incompatibility may be responsible. Beyond that, I'm not sure. Sorry I couldn't help more.