User Tag List

Thread: New Sun Conure

Parrots

Red Bellied Parrot Sun Conure

New Sun Conure

I re-homed a Sun Conure a few weeks ago and have questions regarding his/her behavior. The bird fell in love with me immediately but almost every time I scratch his head he displays mating behavior. He will step up and come out with me but eventually regresses to the mating behavior, head down, squatting and turning his vent to me. I always discourage this behavior and I hope someone can enlighten me as to why this is occurring. I rescued him from a bad situation and he seems so happy to be with me under good care and positive attention. He seems to get so excited when I am with him and makes a squeaking noise and seems to breath very quickly.

I sure hope someone can help.

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Kevin its that time of year now. Birds know Spring is just around the corner. My suggestion to you is when this bird does the mating dance with you just put him back in the cage and pretty much walk away. Its not a behavior that you should encourage. Apparently this bird likes men.

Understand that this is a natural behavior.

Have the family member the bird has picked limit their interaction with your bird, spend time with the bird when that family member is absent, and ensure that only you are the one to provide all favorite treats and activities.

The environment can also be altered somewhat to attempt to reduce breeding behavior. Limiting the daylight hours to mimic a winter sun will often help.

In some instances, the vet may prescribe drugs that balance out a pet's hormones.

3. The following user likes this post:

Sucre (02-27-2016)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Is it a good idea to try and suppress what is a natural cycle in the birds life Dianne? It can possibly lead to deeper problems. I think we just have to suffer it until it passes without encouragement.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

Parrots

Red Bellied Parrot Sun Conure
    Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    Is it a good idea to try and suppress what is a natural cycle in the birds life Dianne? It can possibly lead to deeper problems. I think we just have to suffer it until it passes without encouragement.
    Thank you. I do everything to discourage it. I am the only one in the house, so the only one he sees. My Red Bellied just went through this several months ago so I know just what it is and I discourage him. Often when the Red Bellied is in the breeding mode I cant handle him because of how he is. I'll just wait for it to pass then.

6. The following user likes this post:

Lady (02-17-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Yeah..the birdy's hormones are FLYING around here, too!!

Parrots

Sun conure, Black crowned conure, Yellow sided conure, and an IRN
    How old is your conure? (Just wondering when I can look forward to this joyous time!)

My oldest just turned 1.

9. The following user likes this post:

Mare (03-06-2016)