User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unknown Origins - Dangers Of Craigslist

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Quote Originally Posted by Macaw Lover View Post
    You will look back and hopefully laugh at yourself that you bought a bird and did not stop things when the bird fell over! Then, to find out the poor little one is missing part of a wing.
    To me, this raises the moral question of whether or not these poor birds/pets being in dire need should outweigh our best judgment to not support the CL deception phenomenon. I personally think that we should save pets from CL whenever viably possible. One of the main reasons for my opinion in this regard -and there are several- is because we could never hope to make a dent in the pet-related deception happening on CL by opting out of any single acquisition or even through personal boycott of CL with a perpetual recommendation that others do the same. CL is simply too BIG! Period. So as I see the matter, helping a CL-advertised pet out of its personal state of hopelessness, whenever we are able to do so, should be a top priority. I have to further say that I don't find anything about Kristin's experience of meeting and adopting Carlos to be "laughable". I doubt that she ever will either. Providing the poor bird a loving and safe home was a hugely noble act! She has indicated she would have done the same thing had she been made aware of the physical impairment involved. And I'm sure that's true. However, the subject title for this thread, "Dangers Of Craigslist", which at some level seems a bit contradictory of my point and feelings herein, has been duly noted as well. I think the entire topic can be looked upon as a double-edged sword (so to speak).

Quote Originally Posted by Macaw Lover View Post
    I know Carlos is forever grateful to you for giving him a much better home where he did not wind up in another home that shall we just say, was not a good environment for a bird? Love him, show him that all humans are not evil he will pay you back ten fold.
    I fully agree here!
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

2. The following user likes this post:

spiritbird (02-14-2016)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PlaxMacaws View Post
    To me, this raises the moral question of whether or not these poor birds/pets being in dire need should outweigh our best judgment to not support the CL deception phenomenon. I personally think that we should save pets from CL whenever viably possible. One of the main reasons for my opinion in this regard -and there are several- is because we could never hope to make a dent in the pet-related deception happening on CL by opting out of any single acquisition or even through personal boycott of CL with a perpetual recommendation that others do the same. CL is simply too BIG! Period. So as I see the matter, helping a CL-advertised pet out of its personal state of hopelessness, whenever we are able to do so, should be a top priority. I have to further say that I don't find anything about Kristin's experience of meeting and adopting Carlos to be "laughable". I doubt that she ever will either. Providing the poor bird a loving and safe home was a hugely noble act! She has indicated she would have done the same thing had she been made aware of the physical impairment involved. And I'm sure that's true. However, the subject title for this thread, "Dangers Of Craigslist", which at some level seems a bit contradictory of my point and feelings herein, has been duly noted as well. I think the entire topic can be looked upon as a double-edged sword (so to speak).
    I definitely wanted Carlos and it's dangerous to buy on Craigslist, but in a sense sometimes it's the best thing to do for the sake of the pet. I definitely would not have changed a thing, I kind of felt taken aback by the comment of laughing at myself.I don't know how they meant that so I was puzzled as to whether it was meant as a jab, or they thought it sounded sincere, but yea I don't think I will be laughing... If any laughter occurs it will be from joy, after all my buddy here brings me great joy and giggles. I don't feel jibbed money wise, I just wish I would have known so I could baby him earlier.

I guess it all boils down to the fact that some people prefer pets in pristine conditions, perfect plumage, no deformities, or what have ya. It is a sad thing to inadvertently take in a sick bird, it could most definitely spread and harm the other birds. Aside from sick birds, a bird that just has a missing wing like Carlos I don't see that as a threat. I have seen people post up that they have taken in birds and they don't like how the bird plucks its feathers, how the birds beak looks, all the outward things. I honestly find it sad when one judges a bird by what they have wrong outwardly, look at Carlos yes he is missing a vital wing meaning he can never fly again, but that doesn't change the nature of him. Carlos is still an amazing bird, with a broad personality full of quirks and everything cute.

4. The following 2 users like this post:

Mare (02-14-2016), PlaxMacaws (02-14-2016)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by josephnasenath View Post
    I definitely wanted Carlos and it's dangerous to buy on Craigslist, but in a sense sometimes it's the best thing to do for the sake of the pet. I definitely would not have changed a thing, I kind of felt taken aback by the comment of laughing at myself.I don't know how they meant that so I was puzzled as to whether it was meant as a jab, or they thought it sounded sincere, but yea I don't think I will be laughing... If any laughter occurs it will be from joy, after all my buddy here brings me great joy and giggles. I don't feel jibbed money wise, I just wish I would have known so I could baby him earlier.

I guess it all boils down to the fact that some people prefer pets in pristine conditions, perfect plumage, no deformities, or what have ya. It is a sad thing to inadvertently take in a sick bird, it could most definitely spread and harm the other birds. Aside from sick birds, a bird that just has a missing wing like Carlos I don't see that as a threat. I have seen people post up that they have taken in birds and they don't like how the bird plucks its feathers, how the birds beak looks, all the outward things. I honestly find it sad when one judges a bird by what they have wrong outwardly, look at Carlos yes he is missing a vital wing meaning he can never fly again, but that doesn't change the nature of him. Carlos is still an amazing bird, with a broad personality full of quirks and everything cute.
    I concur with your views. One of the impressions I have taken on this general topic is that in recommending against acquisition of less than perfect pets from sources like CL, some folks are merely trying to contribute to the reduction of the for-profit animal exploitation that runs rampant among such sources. They somehow think that through boycott they will make a significant impact in reducing the tragedy. So I believe they mean well in most cases... unfortunately such a mission is a genuinely unrealistic one. This disturbing fact should be fairly evident when considering the epidemic proportions of the pet-deception-for-profit issue

Banned

I think people think that by not buying CL animals they are helping stop the sell of animals from mills, but in reality they are more than likely doing more damage than good. I will admit it's dangerous to buy sick animals, but I won't preach against those who do for the sake of possibly saving the animals but it's also a good thing to be concerned for the animals one already owns.

I think If one has the means to provide for a bird adoption is better than buying a bird from the pet shop. So my post wasn't meant to steer people away from purchasing animals from Craigslist, it was meant as a warning to check birds over, ask questions, and get the facts. In the case of Carlos it was just an arm and a wing, but what if it had been a sick bird that brought a deadly illness or disease to my other flock that is definitely something to think about. Another thing to think about is what if you pay the full price, bring the animal home and it dies, you're stuck with the bill and unfortunately you have a dead animal on your hands. With me I get attached to my buddies quick so I would feel completely heartbroken to the point I would cry for days and days. May I add I would not cry over the money spent, but the animal lost.

The key is knowing what you're getting into before you do it and take on the task of bringing in a pet you have no real past knowledge about, all information is hearsay.

There's nothing wrong with saving a pet from Craigslist just make sure that the person is upfront and honest, and make sure that you're willing to take in a sick or deformed pet. So that's really the gist of my post, again it wasn't a post about avoiding CL animals, it wasn't a post about suing individuals or even wanting my money back. The post was merely warning folks that sometimes we go in thinking one thing while purchasing an animal and we get home and realize the previous owner wasn't so forthcoming. In the end I would have done it all over again, I can't stress enough that I think the majority of animal sellers on CL don't care about the pets welfare all they care about is making a quick profit, they don't even care about the folks they're selling to.

So yea I definitely won't be laughing years down the road, but I will say that I do feel foolish for not asking if she had taken the bird to the vet prior, I should have also asked if he was hurt previously in any way. I feel foolish not for buying him, but I just wish I would have known something because since she didn't disclose that information to me I had put his perches higher up and when he did slide off he could have gotten seriously injured.

So let me repeat for everyone here, I love Carlos and I still would have purchased him. Thank you all for reading.

7. The following user likes this post:

PlaxMacaws (02-14-2016)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by josephnasenath View Post
    I think people think that by not buying CL animals they are helping stop the sell of animals from mills, but in reality they are more than likely doing more damage than good. I will admit it's dangerous to buy sick animals, but I won't preach against those who do for the sake of possibly saving the animals but it's also a good thing to be concerned for the animals one already owns.

I think If one has the means to provide for a bird adoption is better than buying a bird from the pet shop. So my post wasn't meant to steer people away from purchasing animals from Craigslist, it was meant as a warning to check birds over, ask questions, and get the facts. In the case of Carlos it was just an arm and a wing, but what if it had been a sick bird that brought a deadly illness or disease to my other flock that is definitely something to think about. Another thing to think about is what if you pay the full price, bring the animal home and it dies, you're stuck with the bill and unfortunately you have a dead animal on your hands. With me I get attached to my buddies quick so I would feel completely heartbroken to the point I would cry for days and days. May I add I would not cry over the money spent, but the animal lost.

The key is knowing what you're getting into before you do it and take on the task of bringing in a pet you have no real past knowledge about, all information is hearsay.

There's nothing wrong with saving a pet from Craigslist just make sure that the person is upfront and honest, and make sure that you're willing to take in a sick or deformed pet. So that's really the gist of my post, again it wasn't a post about avoiding CL animals, it wasn't a post about suing individuals or even wanting my money back. The post was merely warning folks that sometimes we go in thinking one thing while purchasing an animal and we get home and realize the previous owner wasn't so forthcoming. In the end I would have done it all over again, I can't stress enough that I think the majority of animal sellers on CL don't care about the pets welfare all they care about is making a quick profit, they don't even care about the folks they're selling to.

So yea I definitely won't be laughing years down the road, but I will say that I do feel foolish for not asking if she had taken the bird to the vet prior, I should have also asked if he was hurt previously in any way. I feel foolish not for buying him, but I just wish I would have known something because since she didn't disclose that information to me I had put his perches higher up and when he did slide off he could have gotten seriously injured.

So let me repeat for everyone here, I love Carlos and I still would have purchased him. Thank you all for reading.
    I truly understand. Again, I too am for helping pets in need whenever possible. And that's certainly never something to be regretted. Moreover, I will always feel a measure of loathful contempt for those who exploit animals for profit! Thank you for sharing your story about Carlos with us, as well as your heartfelt point of view.

Banned

I must say it really grinds my gears too when I see folks breed and exploit pets for a profit as well, it's really sad.

Ps. Not knocking on caring breeders, but mills and so forth.

10. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (02-16-2016), PlaxMacaws (02-14-2016)

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    Kristin - if it helps I don't think Renée meant any harm by her laughing at yourself comment. I read it as laugh at how insane the situation was. The woman trying to hide poor Carlos' handicap and acting like everything was normal. For me it's if I don't laugh about the craziness in life, I will end up crying. If that makes sense. I can't tell you how many times finding even the smallest bit of humor in a bad situation has helped me. Anyway, getting back to the point, I think the comment was without any ill intent.

Thank goodness you were the person who replied. I can see how much you love him and will do everything you can to give him a good life. Carlos is a very lucky guy/girl.
    Rosie & Kendra

12. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (02-16-2016), Cpara (02-15-2016), Mare (02-15-2016), PlaxMacaws (02-14-2016)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kendrafitz View Post
    Kristin - if it helps I don't think Renée meant any harm by her laughing at yourself comment. I read it as laugh at how insane the situation was. The woman trying to hide poor Carlos' handicap and acting like everything was normal. For me it's if I don't laugh about the craziness in life, I will end up crying. If that makes sense. I can't tell you how many times finding even the smallest bit of humor in a bad situation has helped me. Anyway, getting back to the point, I think the comment was without any ill intent.

Thank goodness you were the person who replied. I can see how much you love him and will do everything you can to give him a good life. Carlos is a very lucky guy/girl.
    I am sorry if I may have taken what they said wrong, I do that a lot... I am quite socially awkward I have tourrettes so sometimes I do take things the wrong way. :P I truly do love him. Love him so much I tried to express it through art, I am no artist but every time I see it I think of my love for my buddy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0258.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	106.6 KB 
ID:	3671

14. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (02-16-2016), PlaxMacaws (02-15-2016)

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    Don't apologize. I just didn't want you to think Renee was giving you a hard time. Most people here are super nice and since you seem nice I want you to stick around.

You are an artist. That is beautiful!!
    Rosie & Kendra

16. The following user likes this post:

spiritbird (02-15-2016)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kendrafitz View Post
    Don't apologize. I just didn't want you to think Renee was giving you a hard time. Most people here are super nice and since you seem nice I want you to stick around.

You are an artist. That is beautiful!!
    Thank you