User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unknown Origins - Dangers Of Craigslist

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    Thanks Kristin. She is a character, that's for sure.
    Rosie & Kendra

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Hey Kristin... I just read your thread starter. Carlos' story is so impactfully sad . I too am very glad you have taken him away from the hell to which he was confined and certainly that you have ended the risk for him being further abused and potentially tossed around from person to person. Your actions for, and concerns about Carlos and his well-being are beyond noble. I'm so glad to know that you love him so much and that he has a forever home with you now

By the way, is the photo of Carlos you are using as your avatar a reversal? From reading your story my interpretation is that he's missing his entire upper left appendage but in that photo it appears to be there. I believe I can see the joint and part of the wing. If the image is a mirror reversal that would seem to explain it.

Please post often about Carlos (or whatever his name ends up being) and his new life .... after reading his story I almost feel that I know him now . Thanks so much for sharing.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

3. The following user likes this post:

spiritbird (02-14-2016)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kendrafitz View Post
    Thanks Kristin. She is a character, that's for sure.
    You're welcome

Quote Originally Posted by PlaxMacaws View Post
    Hey Kristin... I just read your thread starter. Carlos' story is so impactfully sad . I too am very glad you have taken him away from the hell to which he was confined and certainly that you have ended the risk for him being further abused and potentially tossed around from person to person. Your actions for, and concerns about Carlos and his well-being are beyond noble. I'm so glad to know that you love him so much and that he has a forever home with you now

By the way, is the photo of Carlos you are using as your avatar a reversal? From reading your story my interpretation is that he's missing his entire upper left appendage but in that photo it appears to be there. I believe I can see the joint and part of the wing. If the image is a mirror reversal that would seem to explain it.

Please post often about Carlos (or whatever his name ends up being) and his new life .... after reading his story I almost feel that I know him now . Thanks so much for sharing.
    I don't know if it's reversed, but he does have a tiny nub there. The doctor said that it's equivalent to us missing from our wrist down. He can't even extend his wing out. The wing that is removed is the black and red one underneath the green so I am assuming that's the pick up flight wing. It's really sad to see him try to fly to me and he can't... either way he is so special to me and I am so glad to be his mama.

I will find out his sex next week and I will post that information, and I will also be revealing his new name. I best start the process of finding good names haha, I had considered Carlisle if a male, and Carla if a female we shall see. :P

5. The following 2 users like this post:

kendrafitz (02-14-2016), PlaxMacaws (02-14-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Do you like the female name of Carlee?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by spiritbird View Post
    Do you like the female name of Carlee?
    Absolutely, my daughters name is Karleigh just spelled different. :P I named her after my mother that passed away in 2011. My mothers name was Carla.

8. The following user likes this post:

kendrafitz (02-14-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Such a lucky bird to have found his way to your door . I truly believe that most birds on Craigslist are considered rescues if we bring them home. Our Sassy goffins girl was a Craigslist girl. The lady looking for a home for her was desperate to find someone and was asking $350 for her. The woman came to our home to be sure Sassy would be well taken care of and asked for no fee when I came to pick her up. She cried when I took Sassy away but was happy she was going to a good home. Not everyone is equipped mentally or financially prepared to take on a parrot. I'm happy that you were, Kristen

10. The following user likes this post:

kendrafitz (02-14-2016)

I can only say for sure that it sounds like he's had some tough times and I'm glad he has a good home now~
    Penny Sebring | Kiki's Castle
    www.kikiscastle.com
    penny@kikiscastle.com

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mare View Post
    Such a lucky bird to have found his way to your door . I truly believe that most birds on Craigslist are considered rescues if we bring them home. Our Sassy goffins girl was a Craigslist girl. The lady looking for a home for her was desperate to find someone and was asking $350 for her. The woman came to our home to be sure Sassy would be well taken care of and asked for no fee when I came to pick her up. She cried when I took Sassy away but was happy she was going to a good home. Not everyone is equipped mentally or financially prepared to take on a parrot. I'm happy that you were, Kristen
    That's really sad, it's the economy in my opinion it's all gone down hill. I'm glad you got and rescued your Goffins, it's really sad for both parties the bird and the poor owner who no longer can afford the huge responsibility. Raising birds sure aren't easy, it's not to be taken lightly but it's oh so rewarding.

As for Carlos I got him for $350 too, she said she hated to sell him but desperately needed the money. I can't fault her for being poor she had a little girl and a man who was out working. I just really wish she would have told me he was hurt, either she didn't know, or she knew and was afraid nobody would buy him. I'm not really sure why, but I will say I did feel bad that she was fallen on hard times living in a trailer park and so forth so I would have still bought him.

I hate seeing anyone going through monetary issues of hard times, I definitely know what that's like, I can honestly say I'm blessed to have a roof over my head, money in my pocket, a good Hubby, my daughter, and the rest of all my furry and feathery babies. it's good to count our blessings.

Quote Originally Posted by Penny View Post
    I can only say for sure that it sounds like he's had some tough times and I'm glad he has a good home now~
    Thank you, I'm really trying to make up for his wing and all. He truly is like a son, he's my little buddy.

13. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (02-14-2016), Mare (02-14-2016)

You must also realize that a lot of people are just so uneducated in birds. They have no clue what is needed in the ownership of birds or any other animal for that matter. You ask if male/female and so someone who really doesn't know but has someone standing right there with cash in hand is going to take a shot in the dark and give you and answer because they don't want you walking out without the bird.

You will look back and hopefully laugh at yourself that you bought a bird and did not stop things when the bird fell over! Then, to find out the poor little one is missing part of a wing.

I admit, I enjoy watching People's Court and am no longer surprised when there is a case of someone buying a 20 year old car, was told by the seller that it runs great, does not have a mechanic look it over BEFORE they buy the car and then show up in court because they find out that it needs repairs and thinks the seller should take the car back. Doesn't happen. When buying anything, you have to be on your toes if it on CL, an ad in the paper or just hearing about something up for sale by word or mouth and it is up to the buyer to determine the true conditions of things.

I know Carlos is forever grateful to you for giving him a much better home where he did not wind up in another home that shall we just say, was not a good environment for a bird? Love him, show him that all humans are not evil he will pay you back ten fold.

15. The following user likes this post:

kendrafitz (02-14-2016)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Macaw Lover View Post
    You must also realize that a lot of people are just so uneducated in birds. They have no clue what is needed in the ownership of birds or any other animal for that matter. You ask if male/female and so someone who really doesn't know but has someone standing right there with cash in hand is going to take a shot in the dark and give you and answer because they don't want you walking out without the bird.
    I agree.

You will look back and hopefully laugh at yourself that you bought a bird and did not stop things when the bird fell over! Then, to find out the poor little one is missing part of a wing.
    Actually I don't think I would or could ever honestly laugh at myself, yes I felt bad for the poor bird when he fell, but again I wouldn't change a thing I love him too much. I don't see it as me being "had", even if she was more forthcoming about his affliction I still would have given her the total amount she originally wanted, in fact I gave her extra. So yes I don't feel gipped in that aspect, I just feel like she should have been more honest about his injuries so I could have better accommodated him early on. I hope this makes sense?

I admit, I enjoy watching People's Court and am no longer surprised when there is a case of someone buying a 20 year old car, was told by the seller that it runs great, does not have a mechanic look it over BEFORE they buy the car and then show up in court because they find out that it needs repairs and thinks the seller should take the car back. Doesn't happen. When buying anything, you have to be on your toes if it on CL, an ad in the paper or just hearing about something up for sale by word or mouth and it is up to the buyer to determine the true conditions of things.
    I agree to an extent on this... I think a buyer should look things over, BUT I also think the seller should not be a liar when selling things just for profit. I am not saying the seller should have to pay a refund, but I think it would be the morally right thing to do. As for Carlos I don't need nor do I want a refund, I am absolutely happy and content with him just the way he is. So what if he has a missing arm/wing? I love him all the more.

I know Carlos is forever grateful to you for giving him a much better home where he did not wind up in another home that shall we just say, was not a good environment for a bird? Love him, show him that all humans are not evil he will pay you back ten fold.
    I will definitely show him the love he deserves and then some.
    Last edited by BirdWhisperer; 02-14-2016 at 03:23 PM.

17. The following user likes this post:

PlaxMacaws (02-14-2016)