User Tag List

Thread: Super independant and a cage stealer

Parrots

Cockatiel Black capped conure

Super independant and a cage stealer

I have a female black capped conure, Kili, who is about a year and a half. I was wondering if anyone else has a super independant black cap. She was socalized and constantly handled when I got her and she is still handelable and will fly to me but most of the time she would prefer a perch to my hand/shoulder.

She also recently became a cage stealer. I recently moved with Kili and her cockatiel brother and she has become more open and friendly with him but she also is starting to go into his cage, with and without him in there. It's almost like she would prefer his cage to hers though his is slightly smaller. I have tried switching the toys and giving her the toys in his cage that she likes but she still goes in. Has anyone else experienced this and if so what did you do about it?

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Welcome to our bird keeping community, P&K! While I don't have any conures or cockatiels, I can offer an idea about the cage issue. Depending upon the dimensions of your cockatiel's cage, might it be possible to swap your birds so each can adopt the other's cage? Or perhaps there's some chance of acquiring a similar or identical cage to the one your cockatiel is in and giving it to Kili? Again, this is assuming that your cockatiel's cage is large enough for Kili. I have to say, though, that there's always the possibility the attraction to your cockatiel's cage that Kili is feeling merely stems from the fact that it's your cockatiel's cage. And that would obviously make matters a bit more complicated.

Hopefully some of our conure and/or cockatiel owners will chime in with their advice before long.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

3. The following user likes this post:

spiritbird (02-09-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Hello and welcome to our wonderful forum. Conures, as a specie, are very curious. They like to be the "boss" and Kili may just be asserting herself by showing interest in the cockatiel's cage. Be very observant that this interest does not lead to aggression with the cockatiel. At one point in my life I had an African Grey and GCC. The conure was also very curious about the grey, so much so that they would beak eachother through the cage bars, and the GCC ended up with a severe wound in the head.

Parrots

Hello, thank you.

I have noticed that about her. She has always been the boss and has chased Peanutbutter, the cockatiel, off of perches and the top of his and her cage. Recently though, she has been getting along with him. She still chases him off but not nearly to the extent that she used to. Shortly after she became more tollerant of him is when she started to go into his cage. I'll keep an eye out for increased aggression.

Parrots

I have thought about switching the cages but his cage is smaller than hers and because of her "busy body" nature I'd like her to have the larger cage since I can fit more things for her to do in her cage. Since I fear his cage would be a bit small for her, to even things out I'm thinking of getting him a bigger cage, possibly a similar cage to hers.

Thank you for the advice

7. The following user likes this post:

Lady (02-10-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Hi P&K,

Sorry I do not have any advice as I only have one bird. I would like to say
    Looking forward to hearing more about your flock. Oh btw, we like pics if you should want to post any

9. The following user likes this post:

Penny (02-11-2016)