User Tag List

Thread: Blue Boy!

Parrots

1 1/2 year old DNA tested male Lovebird- Nash

Blue Boy!

Hey all. As you probably know I have one male lovebird at home, Nash, and I volunteer at two places and take care of the birds there. Today I went to one of those places I volunteer, and totally fell in love with this blue lovebird, named Blue Boy. He is not hand tame at all, and is very afraid of hands, but I got him to perch on my arm and take millet without freaking.

He is so lovely and sweet, and I was thinking of maybe adopting him in March. I have the cage, time, and money for another bird I just want to know if you guys think it is a good idea. I go to school 7 hours a day, but I am home by 4 PM, and let Nash out for an hour while I get ready before I leave in the morning. I am a night owl so I am up well past midnight some days, and so is Nash, he has become accustomed to sleeping during the day while I am gone. My family really likes him so if they're home and he is screaming for attention, they will let him out as well.

He and Blue Boy won't be in the same cage of course, but I would like to one day maybe let them be able to play together outside of the cage in their free fly time, but I Know that is not always guaranteed they will get along. Is 2 lovebirds much more difficult to manage than one? Would it be a smart decision to do this? Here's a picture of Blue Boy if you want to see how cute he is LOL

I already know I will be keeping Nash until the day he dies regardless, so I know I will be keeping Blue Boy just as long ( He is 6 though, so it will actually be only maybe 10 years before he is super old )

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0055.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	3614
    http://www.preciselyparrots.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3935&d=1458826196

2. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (02-01-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    It's a nice story about Blue boy and I wish you well with him.

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    I'm not familiar enough with lovebirds to know the right answer to your question. Blue boy is a cutie! For my own flock, I do know that they are much happier with other birds around (not in same cage) than when by themselves.

I suppose it would depend a bit on if the birds got along. Does the rescue offer a trial period to see if everyone involved is happy with the new situation? If it works out for you it'll be a grand time for everyone!
    Penny Sebring | Kiki's Castle
    www.kikiscastle.com
    penny@kikiscastle.com

Parrots

Sun conure, Black crowned conure, Yellow sided conure, and an IRN
    I have 4 lovebirds. 1 of them has to be kept separate from the other 3 - she / he is a bully. They are all young, 12 weeks and under, but I didn't get them all at once. All were hand raised. Saffron just really picks on the other 3. I've tried keeping the cages side by side, putting millet on a towel and encouraging them to forage together, caging them together briefly and supervised (have to get her out quickly, though, she really is a bully). They are all very close in size, the 3 that are caged together are about 2 weeks younger than Saffron. I'm really starting to think I'll never be able to keep them together. I do let her out while I am handling the others. She flies a bit and her curiosity gets the best of her so she will come close to see what we're doing. She doesn't pick on the others as long as they are in my hand. I will keep trying to do this until I give up! The younger 3 aren't flying super great yet, so I haven't tried letting them fly around at once.

I'm okay with keeping 2 separate cages for them, even though I would love for them to all be together. I work, too, gone from home 9 1/2 hours a day. No one is here to give in to their demands. Saffron seems just as happy and content as the 3 that are caged together. They chatter back and forth constantly. Saffron seems more edgy than the 3 together. She's more tame, but she was more tame when I got her - the breeder spent a lot of time handling her, while the other 3 were only handled at feeding time.

You're talking about adult birds, so my situation probably doesn't apply. I do hope to be able to allow them to be out of the cage together, though.

Parrots

1 1/2 year old DNA tested male Lovebird- Nash
    Thanks for sharing your personal story! Seems like a hassle, but I know it'll work out in some way down the road!(:

I don't think they will allow Nash to go there to meet him just because of the chance he is sick and brings his sickness into their place, but who knows maybe it'll work out. I don't mind splitting Nash's cage now to let them at least hear each-other, and play time together may be an option later down the road. I definately won't get him til after March at the earliest, so I will keep you all posted!
    http://www.preciselyparrots.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3935&d=1458826196

8. The following user likes this post:

Penny (02-02-2016)