User Tag List

Thread: Salty and the video

Parrots

Yellow shouldered Amazon, Salty

Salty and the video

So last night I watched the program called "Look Whose Talking" a documentary about parrots and their lives with people and in the wild.
    It's not the one showing the excruciating poor condition of 'throw away birds', (which I also reccommend everyone watches too), but a more light hearted one showing wild and companion parrots and their relationships. So Salty, my YSA, was on the the bed with me and once the program started he pretty much stayed on my shoulder and watched the program. Oh he wandered off to play with a shoelace once or twice, but I swear that every time a parrot was on screen , it had his attention. I was really blown away. The scenes with parrots talking really had him riveted and started him off doing his cute muttering and squeaks. He even came over and nuzzled my cheek ( something new from him).

I know parrots can see TV screens ( unlike dogs) but this was pretty amazing, especially his reactions. Earlier in the evening, he was being a bad little parrot, doing hard nibbles on my ears and neck, and in general not acting well, I was even considering putting him in his cage until dinner time. But I remembered someone had re-posted that video on another forum and decided to watch it with him.
    HI , I am Salty, a yellow shouldered Amazon, hatched June 15, 2015. I will be a pirate someday, just like my daddy!

2. The following user likes this post:

kendrafitz (01-31-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    OOh I want to see it too!

Parrots

Yellow shouldered Amazon, Salty
    Share it with your 'keets - who knows, they may like it too!
    HI , I am Salty, a yellow shouldered Amazon, hatched June 15, 2015. I will be a pirate someday, just like my daddy!

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Since I play bird sounds quite a bit I think my birds are wise to the fact that the sounds are electronic.

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Zaffer is very responsive to other parrots appearing on the video screen. He even became enthralled by the movie Rio when I played it on my laptop for him. So it's not just real parrots that can grab his attention... animated ones can do so as well (at least the ones in Rio did). He certainly loves to watch YouTube clips that show parrots involved in various activities and he loves to hear their vocalizations. He especially likes to watch other parrots affectionately interacting with their humans. During such scenes he snuggles up to my neck and cheek, curves his head around to my face, looks into my eye, then kisses me while making a cooing sound. Parrots definitely enjoy watching other parrots! Even when those other parrots are a different species.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

7. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (01-28-2016)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    I think they respond more to the audio rather than the vision, but once the sound has their attention they do look at the screen. Casper loves to sit on a shoulder and watch stuff, especially if it has parrots, children, singing or laughter. I think I mentioned before that he has found he can move the jigsaw pieces around on Margaret's ipad screen when she is trying to do her online jigsaws.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    I think they respond more to the audio rather than the vision, but once the sound has their attention they do look at the screen.
    Perhaps that's generally true. But in Zaf's case, the visual of another parrot cuddling and/or kissing or preening someone inspires him to do the same to me. He does not respond this way when he sees people being affectionate toward one another.

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    I think Zaf is an exceptionally astute parrot and a credit to your stewardship.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

11. The following user likes this post:

Lady (01-30-2016)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    I think Zaf is an exceptionally astute parrot and a credit to your stewardship.
    Thanks for your kind statement, Jean-Pierre. But my impression is that each parrot has his or her own, often unique array of remarkable associative/perceptual/personality attributes. Zaf is smart... but so are most other parrots

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    To me, it's no surprise that these magnificent creatures would be in tune to flock behavior...God love 'em,,we are all they are ever going to get and they adapt.

14. The following 2 users like this post:

kendrafitz (01-31-2016), Lady (01-30-2016)