User Tag List

Thread: Its All In How You Cook It

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine

Its All In How You Cook It

I was reading about nutrition for our birds on the link I posted the other day. This web page is loaded with information gathered from research. I have been serving carrots raw. Just put one in the cage and in a few hours my birds have it looking like an orange pencil. The author wrote that some veggies are best cooked and not served raw like a carrot. Steaming is the method recommended.

" some vegetables are better cooked—the beta-carotene content in carrots increases in cooking and cruciferous vegetables (including broccoli, cauliflower and Brussels sprouts) loose their thyroid inhibiting qualities when heated. Steaming is the best means of cooking, but boiling can be considered as long as the vegetables are not cooked to a mush. When boiling, use the same water to cook brown rice, whole grain pasta or pulses, which the birds relish"

http://www.parrotsdailynews.com/tony...-diet-part-ii/

2. The following 3 users like this post:

bill-e (01-11-2016), kendrafitz (01-11-2016), Mare (01-15-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Interesting, I have found that Lady likes to drink the juice off the plate when I steam the veggies that we will be having with dinner.

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    My neice saves the water that she cooks veggies in and freezes it. Then she adds it to a soup broth when making.

5. The following user likes this post:

Mare (01-15-2016)