User Tag List

Thread: ugh.. Nash broke a feather

Parrots

1 1/2 year old DNA tested male Lovebird- Nash

ugh.. Nash broke a feather

So my lovie is growing his wings out to be flighted and everything seems to go so wrong. One, I have to move him into my bedroom, where I keep my guinea pigs, and just yesterday when I had him on my shoulder he got frightened and fel and broke one of his new wing feathers :/ It looks like it's back in place now from his own grooming, but it was sticking straight out yesterday and I am just so sad. I know it looks fine, but it's definately broken and he won't be able to use it in flight.

I really really want him flighted but it'll just take longer now, and now I don't know what to do about the housing situation. He was going to free fly in a room we have, but now that he can't be there anymore, and has to be with my guinea pigs he won't be able to fly in there, which will be hard to keep him from doing. The cage the guinea pigs are in doesn't have a lid, it's quite huge, about 6 ft by 3 ft, and he can easily get in the sides or top, so I can't let him fly in there... but I can't keep him from doing it without locking him in his cage 24/7.. Now I may have to keep him clipped until I can find something I am so so upset, I really want him to be able to fly. HELP!

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Somebody will probably be along shortly to tell me why guinea pigs and birds cannot be allowed to be together but I don't see a problem. It seems to work at petting zoos. They will most likely ignore each other. Your bird will probably be more interested in pinching their food while they are not looking.
    If the broken feather is annoying the bird will pluck it out and one feather missing is not going to inhibit flight, it happens all the time in the wild.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

3. The following 2 users like this post:

Cpara (01-12-2016), lolsavannahh (01-15-2016)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Sorry to hear about your lovie, Savannah. How's he doing? It sounds like an inconvenient situation to be forced into keeping your pets in the same small room. But as far as I know, no huge hazard should result from your bird having contact access to your guinea pigs. Best of luck with everything!
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Sorry you are having these problems. Most Lovebirds are quite territorial so your G pigs may be living in fear of your bird. That would be quite stressful to the little furry animals. Also you should be very careful that your bird does not eat their food. I really do not see a simple solution other than finding another place for the G pigs or bird to live in your home.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Couldn't you just drape a oversized sheet over the guinea pigs cage when Nash is out and you can supervise everything? Don't be to sad, like you stated, it will just take a bit longer.

Parrots

1 1/2 year old DNA tested male Lovebird- Nash
    I've thought of everything, but no great answer yet to my problem :/

- He finally plucked the feather a day later and now it's on display next to his cage XD He's doing great, but its a 3:0 ratio with how many new feathers on his wings LOL

- It's hard to explain really, but the Guinea pig cage looks like this:

so I can't really cover it without them suffocating, and he can even fit through the holes on the sides for sure, so I will just have to see what happens. He of course won't be out without supervision, but just to be safe I am trying to find another plan.

-He is very curious about them like when he's on my shoulder and I'm cleaning their cage, but I am not sure if any actual harm will come from it, but I don't even want to introduce them to find out...

- They're only fed 3/8 of a cup of food a day, in which they demolish in 10 minutes so him eating their food would be no issue, the only other thing they get is a lot of veggies and if he suddenly decides to eat that I won't be too upset (;

-I can't move the guinea pigs either, because my family hates how they smell and it would just stink up the entire house if they were downstairs. We live in a 2 story house, but I live with 4 other people, so it's hard to accomidate to everyone. Nash had to go to my room ( which is more of a zoo than a bedroom at this point ) because he was too loud when my dad is on business calls ( he works from home ) and the guinea pigs smell too much to put them downstairs. The only other rooms are my siblings bedrooms and my dads office and neither would work. I may have to get the guinea pigs a new cage somehow that still has ventilation, and holes small enough that Nash can't get through, but I can't think of anything really. Any ideas would be lovely.