User Tag List

Thread: Target Training...Not Just For Parrots Here

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)

Target Training...Not Just For Parrots Here

Rosie and I do target training from time to time. It is something she seems to enjoy and I reward her with cashew pieces and lots of praise and kisses. I make the clicker noises myself since it is just easier for me.

We haven't done it in a while so I decided yesterday would be a good day to start again. I got the cashews and set Rosie up on her recliner and I sat on the floor in front of her. I made the clicker noise and we started. Apparently the dogs remembered what the clicker noise meant. All of a sudden, I hear thumps upstairs and running feet down the stairs. Bailey and Teddy poke their head into the room just as I am giving Rosie her first cashew piece. They wanted a treat too. They crack me up. Rosie obviously finds it funny as well b/c she will direct her cashew crumbs down in their direction. So Rosie does a trick, get a cashew and kisses. Bailey and Teddy just have to stay sitting where they are and they get cashews. Silly dogs. What really makes me laugh is they will ignore the cashew pieces she drops from her food dish. They just don't want to miss out on the special treat Rosie is getting. Goofballs.
    Rosie & Kendra

2. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (01-11-2016), Mare (01-15-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    I was not aware dogs like nuts. Or is it dogs are nuts!

Parrots

Lol! Both. I had no idea dogs liked nuts until we got Rosie. Mine do, but I know some nuts are not good for them. Pistachios are their favorite, I have found pistachio shells in my bed from the dogs.
    Rosie & Kendra

Parrots

Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
    My English setter used to steal the peanuts, shell them and eat the nuts....kinda messy

Sent from my Droid Turbo 2 using Tapatalk
    Thanks,
    Bill
    &

6. The following user likes this post:

kendrafitz (01-11-2016)

It is the macadamia nuts that can be deadly to dogs.

I thought all dogs were food vacuum picker uppers and did not discriminate with too many food things, at least my little terrier and Afghan were like that

8. The following user likes this post:

kendrafitz (01-11-2016)

Parrots

My guys are fairly choosy with Rosie's dropped food. But that is probably because there is a constant surplus. No matter how often I clean there is always something. In fact my crazy girl is usually dropping food on the ground as I vaccuum.
    Rosie & Kendra

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    I used to work for PetSmart as a dog trainer, we always use the clicker and a reward for them but I don't recall anyone ever using nuts.