User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If Your Home is Cold in Winter

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Aspen! A beautiful town. One of my twin daughter's lives in Aspen Woods. It's like looking at God's paintbrush. Sorry had to go off topic for a bit.

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Kendra you make a good point there, the trouble with gas powered heating is that not only is it affected by interruptions in gas supply but also when the leccy goes off because of pumps/timers/other controls. This is tough on those that do not have open fires to sit by.
    Brandon when Casper was poorly and an in-patient at the vets they put his cage in the nice warm exotics room along with all the snakes and lizards. I'm not sure the snakes and lizards were good company, their conversation skills leave a lot to be desired but the warmth was good for him. When he was well enough to be in the general melee with the other birds he taught another, non-talking amazon to say "hello". I bet that was a surprise for the person it lives with when they got it home.
    Last edited by Casper's 2nd best friend; 01-06-2016 at 12:54 PM.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

3. The following user likes this post:

kendrafitz (01-06-2016)

Parrots

Yellow shouldered Amazon, Salty
    Buncha bird coddlers. Salty's getting his workin papers next week and he's gonna earn his keep 'round here, I tell you boy.
    Cage to cage seed salesman or sumpthin. Keepin him in mangos is costin' me a lotta bananas!
    HI , I am Salty, a yellow shouldered Amazon, hatched June 15, 2015. I will be a pirate someday, just like my daddy!

5. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (01-07-2016), kendrafitz (01-07-2016)

Parrots

Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
    I actually got a heated perch and my Nike uses it often. But having said that, my Amazon of 40 years lived in a house that was/is kept at 60 at night and when we're out and only 65 when we're there and she never had even a sniffle during those 40 years.
    I think that as long as you keep the drafts off of them and initially take care to acclimate them, then my experience is that they will be fine.

Since my experience was only a data point of one, when I got Nike, who also was used to a cooler home, I got her the perch.

I got the sand covered small perch and she seeks to like it. I placed it right next to her favorite sleeping perch so that she will even get radiated beat from it. Nike is also covered, which my amazon never was.

Sent from my Droid Turbo 2 using Tapatalk
    Thanks,
    Bill
    &

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Keep an eye on the bottom of her feet Bill because a rough surfaced perch can cause damage. Foot bottoms are tender.

Parrots

Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
    Quote Originally Posted by spiritbird View Post
    Keep an eye on the bottom of her feet Bill because a rough surfaced perch can cause damage. Foot bottoms are tender.
    Yea, I had read about that. I'm planning on sanding down the "sand" a bit to smooth it out but still provide grip. She is so dainty that I actually doubt that there is much pressure on her feet but I have been concerned.

After I bought it I was second guessing myseld that I should have bought the smooth one and just added Vet tape.

I've been away on business all week and I'm anxious to see how she reacts when I get home. My wife, not previously a parrot lover, said that she was doing housework with Nike snuggled in the hood of her hoodie.

Sent from my SM-P905V using Tapatalk
    Thanks,
    Bill
    &

9. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (01-08-2016), kendrafitz (01-09-2016), spiritbird (01-08-2016)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Haha does your wife realise she is now a marsupial?
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

11. The following user likes this post:

kendrafitz (01-09-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Now cleaning house with a bird in hoodie would make a really cute video.

13. The following user likes this post:

kendrafitz (01-09-2016)