User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If Your Home is Cold in Winter

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine

If Your Home is Cold in Winter

Some of you may need supplemental heating of some type for your birds. There are several options for birds. Here is one

http://www.avitec.com/Cage-Heaters-A...anels-s/50.htm

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    It looks nice but I think Lady would attempt to chew on it. She chews on anything on or close enough to her castle!

3. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (01-05-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Just put the heated perch back in the cage. I have had it for over 8 years now and works great.

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Casper chews up wood and cardboard - it warms him twice, firstly when he is using all that energy with his beak and then again when we burn all the bits*

*he is also in a room with a central heating radiator and a log burner (nowadays known as a carbon neutral biomass converter) and has a fleece cover over his cage at night.

"A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

6. The following user likes this post:

spiritbird (01-05-2016)

Parrots

Greenwing macaws,Blue and Gold macaws,Calico macaws.Military macaws,Severe macaw,Hahns macaw,firey shouldered conures,Sun conures,Blue crowned conure,Blackwinged jardine,Greater jardine,Quakers,Congo african greys,Jenday conure,goldcapped conure and SI eclectus
    I don't mean to stir up controversy....but to a large degree,in my opinion,I think many people coddle their companion birds to a point that the bird is unable to adjust to changes in their enviroment on their own.Birds naturally run at a high body temperature...they also have to contend with temperature fluctuations in the wild.Unless your home gets really cold, or the birds cage is in a cold drafty location...there really isn't a need to overdo the heat.While these birds origonated in the tropics for the most part, they have had to adapt to the different places they are living with us,likely for a couple generations.
    "Ivo"

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    You're probably right Dave, I know that we have feral parakeets around us that are thriving and I have seen pictures posted of escapee amazon parrots that seem to be doing alright in the UK. I like to give Caper a bit of outdoor time if the sun is shining (only about ten days in the last sixty) so we both get a bit of vitamin D. If he gets cold he ruffles his feathers up.
    I did go and see a customer a few years ago who had a large empty aviary in his back garden. Apparently his Macaws both died one night when the temperature unexpectedly went down to below minus ten celsius/centigrade (14 F). They had been doing fine for years I was told.
    Last edited by Casper's 2nd best friend; 01-05-2016 at 10:51 PM.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

Nobility Member

Parrots

So I will continue to be a bird coddler and make sure they are warm in cold weather. So far they have not perched on the heated one but they will.

Who would leave their birds in an outdoor aviary when it is sub zero temps??

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    I have seen those heaters. Went back and forth on getting one. Ended up sticking with a heated perch. Rosie got a new heated perch for xmas (our 3rd one - she broke 1 and I broke the other). If this breaks, I will probably go for the little heat pad.

We have natural gas heat. I always feel safer having the heated perch in case our furnace breaks or the heat isn't working well. The perch is one of 5 in her cage, so she has a choice.

Better safe than sorry is my motto.
    Rosie & Kendra

11. The following user likes this post:

spiritbird (01-06-2016)

Parrots

Yellow napped amazon Seminole, green wing macaw Monte, yellow budgie parakeet Avra , Sun conure Starburst... RIP Hendrick... Fly high pretty blue.. 5-5-14
    While true ..birds internal temps run much higher than ours..cooler temps aren't great for them...cooler being 40 and below..yes they can live in it..but I prefer to keep our flock happy and comfortable...

When they go out to day cages in the summer, we keep em in the shade with fans going...

In the winter I keep em at least at 60° usually 70 or if I think one is acting "off" or sick..they go in a 75° area..so the added heat can help them possibly ward off whatever ..until i get the vet over or the bird to the vet..

I've seen green cheeks and suns playing in snow in Aspen Colorado. They were pets that got a way or something.. But both were fat and playing..neither would let us approach..

13. The following user likes this post:

kendrafitz (01-06-2016)

Parrots

Greenwing macaws,Blue and Gold macaws,Calico macaws.Military macaws,Severe macaw,Hahns macaw,firey shouldered conures,Sun conures,Blue crowned conure,Blackwinged jardine,Greater jardine,Quakers,Congo african greys,Jenday conure,goldcapped conure and SI eclectus
    Dont get me wrong...theres nothing wrong with taking great care of our feathered friends....after all, they count on us to do so.Im sure anyone who has any sence would be sure their needs are met...including adequate temperature.
    "Ivo"

15. The following 2 users like this post:

kendrafitz (01-06-2016), spiritbird (01-06-2016)