User Tag List

Thread: Making Sure New Budgie is Okay

Making Sure New Budgie is Okay

Hello, I purchased a new budgie about 3 months ago. His name is Boomer and he is quite the handful! He loves to play and fly around my room. I understand some of the basic signs of sickness in budgies however, I would like to get an opinion from others. Boomer's color is still vibrant, he has no discharge from the eyes or beak, and his feathers are neat and well-preened. However, I have noticed him sitting on the bottom of the cage every once in a while and somtimes he sits puffed up. However, he is not lethargic and is very active. I would appreciate any input from you all very much as to what you might think is or isn't wrong with my little guy! Thank you!

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    Hi and welcome!

I would take Boomer to an avian vet. Usually you take them when you first get them to make sure all is ok. Then for a yearly well visit. If you think something is wrong then bring them in for a sick visit. At least that is the way I was told to do it with my Greenwing Macaw.

Hope all is ok!!
    Rosie & Kendra

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Good advice to have an avian vet examine your little budgie. Most especially if you got this bird at a pet store. Its not normal for a bird to sit on the cage bottom with feathers fluffed. Budgies are very much birds that love to be in a flock of same species. He may be lonely and wants a cage mate. Any time you get a new bird a vet visit is recommended. Birds will hide their illnesses because they are prey birds and do not want to appear weak so any little change or unusual activity should be suspected. Welcome to our forum.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Hi erb,

to P.P.
    So you got a new budgie named Boomer, . I agree what Kendra and Spiritbird has already said. An Avian vet is the best choice.
    Some things to think about is his where is his caged placed? Are you sure he isn't getting a draft? Is there anything at the bottom of the cage that interest him? Lady, my mini mac likes to go to the bottom of the cage and play with the bits of rope that she has destroyed from her toy. She also likes to see if she can get to the mess under the grate when the door is wide open and she doesn't know what else to get into. How often does Boomer go to the bottom and is there a specific time of the day? How old is Boomer?
    I hope you take Boomer to the vet very soon as illnesses can overcome birds quickly.

5. The following user likes this post:

spiritbird (12-23-2015)

Parrots

Greenwing macaws,Blue and Gold macaws,Calico macaws.Military macaws,Severe macaw,Hahns macaw,firey shouldered conures,Sun conures,Blue crowned conure,Blackwinged jardine,Greater jardine,Quakers,Congo african greys,Jenday conure,goldcapped conure and SI eclectus
    So first off let me say my advise is no substitute for an avian vet...However...often times a bird can puff up and hang out on the bottom of the cage simply because they aren't feeling great.Im not suggesting you dismiss the advise given to get your bird to an avian vet.We will occasionally have a bird feeling under the weather or one that may have eaten something that doesn't quite agree with them.The home remedy....again no replacement for a vet...we have found to clear out any potential of a bacterial imbalance is to add some plain yogurt to their food.Just a small amount over the course of a week or so.The probiotics in the yogurt often gets them back to normal.This also works with people prone to upset stomachs.The yogurt gets the digestive system back on track and often that is the initial cause of the puffy on the bottom of the cage behavior.Particularly with the time of the festive season here...if you cant get to a vet...this is at least better than doing nothing.I would bet your bird will bounce back in a couple days.
    "Ivo"

7. The following user likes this post:

wingman (12-24-2015)