User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emergency with Pumpkin today

Parrots

1 blue peach-face lovebird named Rio 2 black masked yellow-green lovebirds named Gracie and Mango 1 Budgie blue with white clouds on breast named Cotton and 2 lovebirds named Boo and Pumpkin 1 new budgie female named Lemon

Emergency with Pumpkin today

I put Boo in new cage this morning eating seeds seems to be doing great. My wife told me to come quick this afternoon Pumpkin was out of nestbox on the bottom of the cage,the parents had thrown her out of nest and had stripped the back of her little head to where it was kinda raw and bloody, I went into medic mode hand fed her some formula çould not reach the vet. At lunch but I needed to help the bird now so cleaned the wound mild warm water and swabed it with triple antibiotic like neosporin, hand fed once then later more thinner formula her crop was good she started to stand up in her plastic feeding box which had the heating pad on low under it. It was between us on the couch so we could moniter her. She took some seed and ate it, the back of her head already is looking better and she is now in the cage with Boo which started chatting with her, She made it up on the perch with Boo right by her side . I never knew the parents could be so cruel. Nature is a bitch, I hope her feathers grow back in, she seems to be doing OK now,, I feel respondsable maybe I should have moved the babies at same time. I never dreamed this would happen.

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    They want to mate again and don't want any babies around. I just read where love bird parents killed the last baby who flew on top of their cage. Killed the poor baby from inside the cage through the bars. Please be warned its not over. Poor little Pumpkin. I am so sorry for him. It's hard to be angry at mother nature. His head should heal quickly as long as no skin was punctured. If he was bleeding then a vet should treat him.

3. The following user likes this post:

wingman (12-09-2015)

Parrots

1 blue peach-face lovebird named Rio 2 black masked yellow-green lovebirds named Gracie and Mango 1 Budgie blue with white clouds on breast named Cotton and 2 lovebirds named Boo and Pumpkin 1 new budgie female named Lemon
    He was just scraped a little but he has been cleaned up and is safe in the new cage with Boo cuddling right next to him.The topical antibiotic has already started to heel his head.....I had to take a step back and catch my breath at first but I helped him out....you can never find a doctor or vet when you need one . I felt like an army medic . it worked!!!!

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    I am so glad he is ok. Is he weaned yet? You did a fantastic job. I guess you don't have a way to separate Rio and Mango. If more eggs are laid you might want to think about dummy eggs.

6. The following user likes this post:

wingman (12-09-2015)

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    Oh no, poor Pumpkin! I had no idea that could happen either. Thank goodness she has you, your wife and Boo. I was so happy to read she was cuddling and chatting with Boo. What a resiliant little girl.
    Rosie & Kendra

8. The following user likes this post:

wingman (12-09-2015)

Parrots

Handfeeding Pumpkin a thin mix of formula then cleaned and put med on her head again this morning she was eating or rather playing with seed and carrying a sunflower seed around after the formula! I hope she heals fast!!!

10. The following 2 users like this post:

94lt1 (12-10-2015), spiritbird (12-09-2015)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Oh wow, I could only imagine how fast your heart was beating. Scary when little ones get hurt. I knew birds kick their little ones from the nest but I too was unaware of how serious their parents can be. I'm glad things are better now. I suppose it is time to decide whether or not you should separate Rio and Mango or let them continue breeding. Maybe just taking the nest box out would help if you wanted to keep them from more eggs for now.

12. The following user likes this post:

wingman (12-10-2015)

Parrots

We have 1 beautiful Moluccan Cockatoo, 31 years young, she hates red foods, loves any orange foods and adores almonds. Cardboard lover, towel hater, loves SpongeBob SquarePants. The bird rules the roost and don't you forget it!
    How scary that must have been for everyone. Poor little Pumpkin, I had no idea either that the parents could do that. Thankfully the siblings are getting along and cuddling.

I wanted to mention a while back Rosie had scratched herself and removed a facial feather and began bleeding. We stopped the bleeding and ordered our birdie first aid kit including a product called SuperClot. It says it stops bleeding, disinfects and stops pain. Fortunately we haven't had to use it. Hopefully you wouldn't have to use it but it's something I like to have around just in case.

14. The following user likes this post:

wingman (12-10-2015)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Poor little Pumpkin . I'm so glad you've remedied the situation. I've read that sometimes parent birds will violently attack and even purge a runt chick from their nest. And I once saw a documentary on Blue & Gold Macaws in which they did this very thing to one of their poor baby chicks. Nature can truly be distorted at times
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

16. The following 2 users like this post:

94lt1 (12-10-2015), wingman (12-10-2015)

Parrots

Rio has already laid another egg so as soon as they hatch and reach a certain feather growing age Mango is getting pulled from cage and getting a visectomy to go back with Gracie just kidding about the visectomy . I don think it was Rio that did the damage to Pumpkin . I had been monitoring the behavior and Mango was getting aggressive. I will work it different this last time even if I have to pull babies and hand feed since I have now done that with Pumpkin! She gets a syringe at 7am and 7 pm Boo is showing her how to get seeds in between. I feel like Dr. Charlie lol...