User Tag List

Thread: Cage size suitable for an amazon?

Cage size suitable for an amazon?

http://www.exoticwings.com/shoppe/pr...um-p-3778.html is this suitable for an DYHA? Amazon owners help?

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Hi Cindy
    Welcome to PreciselyParrots.
    Casper doesn't spend much time in his cage but his preferences are:
    Some horizontal bars for climbing up and some vertical for sliding down (great fun). The photo is a bit confusing, if it has criss-cross mesh I would be worried about him catching his toes in it.
    That cage probably has more usable space than Casper's. His cage is taller but he rarely goes down to the bottom unless he has dropped something. So the bottom third is wasted space really apart from giving the height extra height. Caspers cage has a rounded top which opens up. I wouldn't buy one like that again.
    In case you are new to having a parrot live with you, here are some suggestions.
    Casper likes to sleep as high as possible in the cage so a comfy perch or rope near the top with a cozy to cuddle up to at night (just a bit of fleece material).
    The perch on top of that cage would be his favourite place.
    Natural rope perches are comfy and clean up well, not the coloured cotton type which could cause problems if a bird swallows the fibres.
    The perches that are supposed to keep nails and beak in trim just don't work.
    Here is a picture of the cozy that Margaret made.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Can I help you.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	3451
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

3. The following 3 users like this post:

Cpara (11-23-2015), Lady (11-25-2015), spiritbird (11-22-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    Hi Cindy
    Welcome to PreciselyParrots.
    Casper doesn't spend much time in his cage but his preferences are:
    Some horizontal bars for climbing up and some vertical for sliding down (great fun). The photo is a bit confusing, if it has criss-cross mesh I would be worried about him catching his toes in it.
    That cage probably has more usable space than Casper's. His cage is taller but he rarely goes down to the bottom unless he has dropped something. So the bottom third is wasted space really apart from giving the height extra height. Caspers cage has a rounded top which opens up. I wouldn't buy one like that again.
    Do you have the dimensions of Casper's cage?should I keep rope perches or heated perches as the top?Cozy or tent?Thanks!Not much amazon owners on this site.
    In case you are new to having a parrot live with you, here are some suggestions.
    Casper likes to sleep as high as possible in the cage so a comfy perch or rope near the top with a cozy to cuddle up to at night (just a bit of fleece material).
    The perch on top of that cage would be his favourite place.
    Natural rope perches are comfy and clean up well, not the coloured cotton type which could cause problems if a bird swallows the fibres.
    The perches that are supposed to keep nails and beak in trim just don't work.
    Here is a picture of the cozy that Margaret made.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Can I help you.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	3451
    Do you have the dimensions of Casper's cage?should I keep rope perches or heated perches as the top?Cozy or tent?Thanks!Not much amazon owners on this site. Heres some other cages I found:http://www.exoticwings.com/shoppe/ki...ium-p-391.html and http://www.exoticwings.com/shoppe/ki...ium-p-464.html
    Last edited by Cpara; 11-23-2015 at 01:09 AM.

Parrots

Stick around, there are some excellent people here! The posts since last visit keeps you up to date.
    If your bird is female, I have read that the tents can encourage them into egg laying. We are not sure what Casper is and the only tents we could buy in the UK were decorated to look like little cottages - mock windows and a chimney - far too cute for Casper. So Margaret got some fleece material and made a couple of cozys and a cage cover. We put the cover on when he settles down at night so that we can carry on in the living room whilst he sleeps. We often hear him scrambling down to his food dish for a late snack, giggling and muttering to himself.
    As I said Caspers cage is in the living room which maintains a reasonable ambient temperature. We did wonder whether to get a heated perch when he first came to live with us. Instead I bought a digital thermometer and put the probe under the fleece cover for a couple of nights. The readings show it stays quite toasty in there. As Casper enjoys stripping the insulation off electrical wires I was relieved that we didn't have to find a solution to that problem with a heated perch. My other solution would have been to place a folded up electrically heated human bed blanket under the cage so that the heat would rise inside the cover.
    Caspers cage is 26 inches wide, 22 inches deep and 48 inches high (plus legs to raise it up).
    Before he came to us he was shut in a 2 foot cube and had a diet that consisted mainly of sunflower seeds plus a bit of fruit "because that is all he will eat so I am not wasting my money on other stuff". He was overweight and had a fatty liver. The vet recommended Harrisons with the blue label and much to my surprise he loves it. It doesn't look appetising but must taste good.
    We also have an aluminium "flight cage" for when he comes on our sailing boat and when we go away for the weekend to friends or relatives or hotels.
    We let him out as much as possible (most of the day at home) and can walk around outdoors with him on our shoulder.
    Casper on the boat

Searching by Jean-Pierre Declemy, on Flickr

Casper the navigator by Jean-Pierre Declemy, on Flickr

Casper at home (this picture was taken before he started destroying the coloured cotton rope and we became aware of the ingesting fibres problem)

Casper's new foraging cargo net by Jean-Pierre Declemy, on Flickr

6. The following user likes this post:

Lady (11-25-2015)

Stick around, there are some excellent people here! The posts since last visit keeps you up to date.
    If your bird is female, I have read that the tents can encourage them into egg laying. We are not sure what Casper is and the only tents we could buy in the UK were decorated to look like little cottages - mock windows and a chimney - far too cute for Casper. So Margaret got some fleece material and made a couple of cozys and a cage cover. We put the cover on when he settles down at night so that we can carry on in the living room whilst he sleeps. We often hear him scrambling down to his food dish for a late snack, giggling and muttering to himself.
    As I said Caspers cage is in the living room which maintains a reasonable ambient temperature. We did wonder whether to get a heated perch when he first came to live with us. Instead I bought a digital thermometer and put the probe under the fleece cover for a couple of nights. The readings show it stays quite toasty in there. As Casper enjoys stripping the insulation off electrical wires I was relieved that we didn't have to find a solution to that problem with a heated perch. My other solution would have been to place a folded up electrically heated human bed blanket under the cage so that the heat would rise inside the cover.
    Caspers cage is 26 inches wide, 22 inches deep and 48 inches high (plus legs to raise it up).
    Before he came to us he was shut in a 2 foot cube and had a diet that consisted mainly of sunflower seeds plus a bit of fruit "because that is all he will eat so I am not wasting my money on other stuff". He was overweight and had a fatty liver. The vet recommended Harrisons with the blue label and much to my surprise he loves it. It doesn't look appetising but must taste good.
    We also have an aluminium "flight cage" for when he comes on our sailing boat and when we go away for the weekend to friends or relatives or hotels.
    We let him out as much as possible (most of the day at home) and can walk around outdoors with him on our shoulder.
    Casper on the boat

Searching by Jean-Pierre Declemy, on Flickr

Casper the navigator by Jean-Pierre Declemy, on Flickr

Casper at home (this picture was taken before he started destroying the coloured cotton rope and we became aware of the ingesting fibres problem)

Casper's new foraging cargo net by Jean-Pierre Declemy, on Flickr
    What do you think of this one:http://www.exoticwings.com/shoppe/ki...ium-p-391.html ?

Parrots

Cindy that looks good, I love the roof patio with its own poop tray and the opening skylight at the top front, your parrot should enjoy sitting up there keeping an eye on things. Have you got the bird already or is he/she coming soon? It may be reluctant to go in the cage at first, they don't like "new" but will get to love it quite soon.
    Casper learned to say come on then when we were trying to coax him out of his old cage so we could put him in his new one. He now says that whenever he wants us to do something.

Cindy that looks good, I love the roof patio with its own poop tray and the opening skylight at the top front, your parrot should enjoy sitting up there keeping an eye on things. Have you got the bird already or is he/she coming soon? It may be reluctant to go in the cage at first, they don't like "new" but will get to love it quite soon.
    Casper learned to say come on then when we were trying to coax him out of his old cage so we could put him in his new one. He now says that whenever he wants us to do something.
    Oh,it's coming soon.

Parrots

1 blue peach-face lovebird named Rio 2 black masked yellow-green lovebirds named Gracie and Mango 1 Budgie blue with white clouds on breast named Cotton and 2 lovebirds named Boo and Pumpkin 1 new budgie female named Lemon
    Casper is such a beautiful Bird!!!!
    And Welcome Cindy we are glad you are here!!!

11. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (11-23-2015), Cpara (12-12-2015)