User Tag List

Thread: This is What a Fake CL Ad Looks Like

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine

This is What a Fake CL Ad Looks Like

OMG this is so fake it is almost funny. I put another ad on CL right away letting others know its a scam. I may be gone by the time you click on the link. That would be a good thing. http://baltimore.craigslist.org/pet/5324799852.html

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    What is the scam Dianne? I can see the technical mistakes in the ad but why are they doing it?
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    I think this person must have a low level education and not know a thing about birds. Sounds like they are talking about a dog or cat!

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    Quote Originally Posted by spiritbird View Post
    I think this person must have a low level education and not know a thing about birds. Sounds like they are talking about a dog or cat!
    They are describing a rabbit. What appears to have happened is that the creator of the ad seems to have stolen a description of a pet rabbit from someone else's ad and included a photo of a Hyacinth Macaw with that description - which they likely stole from someone else. Things that tend to indicate this are: 1) The claim of cilantro and flat leaf parsley being the pet's favorite foods. 2) The implication that the pet spends most of its time on the floor. 3) The claim that the pet was found in an apartment complex wandering about. 4) The statement that the pet has been neutered. And of course, 5) the fact that the pet is initially referred to as a "playful bunny". To me, each of those statements seem consistent with a pet rabbit. Conversely, none of them appear to describe a Hyacinth Macaw very well.

My guess is that the patchwork of inconsistency in the ad is a product of some scammer person in a foreign country. Most likely, the individual is virtually clueless about the types of animals he/she is attempting to portray as being for sale and probably doesn't speak English very well (or at all). Cameroon is notorious for being a predominant source of these kind of ads for nonexistent pets. They use lots of stolen Hyacinth Macaw photos, since Hys are one of the main subjects used within such swindle attempts.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

5. The following 4 users like this post:

kendrafitz (11-21-2015), Macaw Lover (11-21-2015), Robyn (11-21-2015), spiritbird (11-21-2015)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Ad has been removed thank goodness.

7. The following 3 users like this post:

kendrafitz (11-21-2015), Lady (11-22-2015), plax (11-21-2015)