User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introducing New Budgies Questions

Parrots

Ollie the Cockatiel (M) Link (M) and Zelda (F) the Budgies

Introducing New Budgies Questions

Hey guys, I have a question about parakeets/budgies. :3

So, here's my situation: I currently have 2 parakeets, Link (Male, around 5 years) and Zelda (Female, also around 5 years), who have been together for 4 years. My friend asked me to take (adopt) her 2 parakeets, Lorie (Male, around 9 or 10 years, has had his leg broken a few years ago) and Roku (Male, around 6 years). She's had them for several years, but doesn't want the responsibilities any longer and asked me to take them from her. I'm thinking of taking them off her hands because I have a large cage that can hold up to 3 more parakeets comfortably (It's a pretty large cage. Here's a link to it if you're wondering: LINK). I also have a cockatiel in an identical cage next to my current parakeets. He seems to like the company of the 2 current birds.

Also, none of the parakeets are trained. They don't bite anymore, and eat millet out of my hand, but they don't step up. I think that makes it a little harder to bond the 4 parakeets. I can open their cages in my room (safely) and let them explore and bond with the two new birds. I'm not sure if this information helps, but I thought I'd mention it. cx

My main question is, how do I introduce all 4 parakeets together? I'm a little concerned because the 2 pairs have been together for such a long time, is it wise to take my friend's 2 birds?

Thanks guys! :)

Parrots

1 blue peach-face lovebird named Rio 2 black masked yellow-green lovebirds named Gracie and Mango 1 Budgie blue with white clouds on breast named Cotton and 2 lovebirds named Boo and Pumpkin 1 new budgie female named Lemon
    Hi and Welcome first! I'm a lovebird owner and I also have a longtail male budgie named Cotton and a female longtail budgie is named Candy. Not an expert just guess on alot and find help from some of the experts here at PreciselyParrot. A budgie is indeed a parrot species, not sure of the Latin names?
    First I would find out if the first 2 you mentioned in your post are siblings or from same blood line. You do not want them to mate if this is the case. It will cause all kinds of genenetic, heath, etc. Problems ! Mine are not related and they will breed if you introduce a breeder box to them. Like rabbits!!! I'm not 100% sure about having 2 males or 2 females in one cage together they may have spats over territory. In the wild I have read that they are a society bird and live in flocks. If you really want to train one choose a male due to the theory that they will be more able and likely to learn a vocabulary of words. From what I understand male or female by themselves will be able to train and learn step up or other
    Tricks . like I said no expert. But keep asking questions and post some pictures. We like pics!!! Again welcome! Hope this helps!

This is Cotton the maleClick image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1447610033554.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	3400

This is Candy the femaleClick image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1447610063903.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	3401
    Last edited by wingman; 11-15-2015 at 06:01 PM.

3. The following 2 users like this post:

Lady (11-16-2015), spiritbird (11-16-2015)

Parrots

Here are the two Budgies I have now. They've never tried to breed and they're not from the same nest. c:

Parrots

1 blue peach-face lovebird named Rio 2 black masked yellow-green lovebirds named Gracie and Mango 1 Budgie blue with white clouds on breast named Cotton and 2 lovebirds named Boo and Pumpkin 1 new budgie female named Lemon
    Beautiful birds!!!

Parrots

Thanks! <3

Parrots

Greenwing macaws,Blue and Gold macaws,Calico macaws.Military macaws,Severe macaw,Hahns macaw,firey shouldered conures,Sun conures,Blue crowned conure,Blackwinged jardine,Greater jardine,Quakers,Congo african greys,Jenday conure,goldcapped conure and SI eclectus
    Very attractive birds.If your friend is giving up his birds...why not save any chance of anyone getting injured and see if you can get their cage with them.Many birds will defend their cage when new birds are just added.If you get them in the cage tey are in now...even if you put them close to the others after quaranteen...they may eventually be able to join the others.Personally,I would keep them seperate.
    "Ivo"

8. The following 2 users like this post:

Lady (11-16-2015), spiritbird (11-16-2015)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Ditto what Dave wrote.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Katy.
    the pic of your little cuties . I have only one parrot but here is some info from the web as I too am no expert.
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=672

Parrots

Thanks guys! I'm going to keep them quarantined for a month, then put the cages close to each other. I may have some closely monitored free-roam time in the future, but I probably won't keep them all in the same cage. c:

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Ahh, so you decided to take them in huh, good for you and for them .