User Tag List

Thread: Are cat towers safe for parrots?

Are cat towers safe for parrots?

I've heard that some people use carpeted cat towers for their amazon parrots,sounds fun.But is it really safe?

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    I don't know but am interested to see what the answer is.
    Rosie & Kendra

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Interesting indeed Cindy. Do you have a link to where you may remember reading about this? I would suppose the type of rug or material that covers the tower would have to be bird friendly in smell and fibers. It would also have to be cleanable friendly to me also.

4. The following user likes this post:

Cpara (11-07-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Lady View Post
    Interesting indeed Cindy. Do you have a link to where you may remember reading about this? I would suppose the type of rug or material that covers the tower would have to be bird friendly in smell and fibers. It would also have to be cleanable friendly to me also.
    I will try,lol horrible memory.

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    I say definitely not with carpet or other fibers. Some are made with no soft bases now. A bird would ingest some of the carpet fibers and they are usually treated with chemicals.

7. The following 2 users like this post:

Cpara (11-07-2015), kendrafitz (11-07-2015)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    I've searched and searched and haven't found any other information either way. I did see quite a bit of cat towers that were made mostly with sisal rope, some had hanging vines from them. They looked nice but again, they would of course have to be parrot safe plants. I could just see Lady chewing them up from the top down! I don't think it would be worth it even if it was made with safe materials unless the bird wasn't a chewer. It might make for a nice stand for little birds in their cages, perhaps finches or canary's.

9. The following user likes this post:

Cpara (11-10-2015)