User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what lory?

what lory?

I am looking for a lory that can say atleast 5-10 phrases/words,that don't screech or scream too often,and is somewhat gentle.Thinking of a black lory or a chattering lory.Any suggestions?EDIT:Feel free to suggest other parrots too!
    Last edited by Cpara; 10-09-2015 at 10:43 PM.

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Hi Cindy and welcome. I do not think any of our members have Lorries. All species of birds flock call and it can be loud at times. Some birds do have a reputation to be quieter than others The Meyers parrot for one. My two Linnies are not too loud either.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Hello Cindy,

The Lory is a beautiful parrot! Do you own any birds now? If you are considering a bird that can already say 5 or more phrases I would think a good place to look would be a rescue. I couldn't imagine a bird knowing so many words unless s/he was already familiar with people. Is there a rescue near you where you can go and see the birds they have?

I've considered Linnies before,but I've heard of them being afraid of hands at a age.I am thinking of something bigger.Thanks for the suggestion though!

No,I do not have a parrot right now.And I meant a parrot that can have a vocabulary of atleast 5-10 words.Sorry if I don't make sense right now,just woke up.XD

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    Hi Cindy and welcome!

I don't know much about Lorries. I have played with a black lory at a store near me. He was adorable, energetic and affectionate. I can't say much about speaking abilities, as he was a baby.

The rescue idea is great if you want a bird that can talk. You know what you are getting speaking wise with an adult. Although, birds that have barely spoken may suddenly start and birds that did speak may stop. I am sure you have heard this before, but just because a type of parrot CAN talk, does not guarantee that they WILL talk. It is an individual thing. My 3 year old GW says a few words, but not a whole heck of a lot. She prefers to imitate my inflections over using the words. I visited the store where I got her a month or so ago. They had baby GWs - about 2 or 3 months old. I was cuddling with one who was chatting up a storm, including, I love you, clear as day. You just never know what you are going to get.

As far as other parrots, I believe African Greys and Amazons are supposed to be the best talkers. Someone with more knowledge may have more information about it.
    Rosie & Kendra

7. The following user likes this post:

spiritbird (10-10-2015)

Cool

Thank you Kendra,I am thinking of another specie because I live in ontario,Canada.And there isn't much lory&lorikeet breeders around.Currently thinking about a panama amazon right now,there is one bird farm near me that breeds them.Also lilac crowns and blue fronts are cool too.
    Last edited by Cpara; 10-10-2015 at 07:55 PM.

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    What is a bird farm? It sounds like mass breeding for pet stores, at least in the US. http://www.parrotparrot.com/owning-a...buying-a-bird/

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    I don't know much about amazons. @caspers2ndbestfriend has Casper, an Amazon, so he may be able to give you some good advice. I have heard that blue fronts can have more dramatic puberty/hormonal stages, so that is something to keep in mind. I think they are supposed to be awesome companions, but you need to be able to handle those stages.
    Rosie & Kendra

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    If a bird farm is like a breeder then it sounds like you will be able to get a baby~, weaned of course!