User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moths

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)

Moths

Hi Everyone,

I have been noticing very small moth type flying insects every now and again it the room where Lady has her cage. I haven't been able to swat one and still get a good look at it but, has anyone notice insects like this as well?

I went to MSBS to place an order and saw a product named Revenge Moth traps. This is a link to the product.

http://www.mysafebirdstore.com/PLAY_...T_CONTROL.html

They say it is safe and odorless but no real information about what it looks like or how to use it. I'm going to continue to research the product to see what I can learn. Meanwhile your insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    They have a phone number listed on the web page. Suggest you call them and find out more. Hope they go away! Oh by the way my cat loves to catch them in her mouth.

3. The following user likes this post:

Lady (10-08-2015)

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    Ahhh...pantry moths. They are the worst. They usually make their way into your house with the bird food. We were infested a couple years ago and I still get a few here and there. I cannot stand them.

I use these traps: http://www.amazon.com/Catchmaster-81...try+moth+traps

I have also gotten to the point that I just smash them with a wet paper towel or my hand. They are tough little things so they sometimes survive a dry paper towel. You can vacuum them up as well. They procreate like crazy.

Once you get them under control, just do your best to avoid a new batch coming in. I freeze Rosie's food for at least 24 hours. Everything is kept in sealed Rubbermaid containers or Mason Jars.
    Last edited by kendrafitz; 10-07-2015 at 11:42 PM.
    Rosie & Kendra

5. The following 2 users like this post:

Lady (10-08-2015), spiritbird (10-08-2015)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    I had to @spiritbird, my boys like to chase them too. I don't look to see if they get them.

Oh @kendrafitz the pics, creep me out!!! Thanks for the link. I could check my local big box store to see if they carry them.

I did find more info about the ones that MSBS carries online and the seems safe as the ingredient is a lure for the male. I think I will just go to the store near me and look at the one Kendra suggested.

Thank you Ladies!
    Last edited by Lady; 10-08-2015 at 12:34 AM.

7. The following user likes this post:

spiritbird (10-08-2015)

Parrots

I know, gross! Btw, that is a pic from Google, not my house.

The traps I use are the same premise. Lure to attract the male.
    Rosie & Kendra

9. The following user likes this post:

Lady (10-08-2015)

Besides those traps, get yourself a handheld vac to suck them up. They seem to come out and be active a little after it gets dark so be on the prowl for them then.

11. The following 3 users like this post:

kendrafitz (10-08-2015), Lady (10-08-2015), spiritbird (10-08-2015)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    I can see you one Kendra. The vacumme moth killer stalking in the dark. Good idea. Will they crawl out of the vac?

13. The following 2 users like this post:

kendrafitz (10-08-2015), Lady (10-08-2015)

Parrots

Lol Dianne! When it was at its worst I came in the kitchen at night and turned on the light. First thing I see is those horrible things mating on my wall. That was the worst. I generally don't vacuum them, but that is only bc when I see them I just smoosh them immediately. I don't want to chance them getting away while I am getting the vaccuum. Nasty little buggers.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Rosie & Kendra

15. The following user likes this post:

Lady (10-08-2015)

Parrots

Charlie-2 year old lesser sulphur crested citron cockatoo Peanut -1 year old White Bellied Caique
    Dianne, how does you cat do with the birds? My 5 year old son keeps asking for a cat but I am hesitant because 1.) I am not really a cat person and 2.) We now have Charlie and I do not want anything to happen to him. I am a bird nut so my first choice is obviously birds!

Quote Originally Posted by mdg1109 View Post
    Dianne, how does you cat do with the birds? My 5 year old son keeps asking for a cat but I am hesitant because 1.) I am not really a cat person and 2.) We now have Charlie and I do not want anything to happen to him. I am a bird nut so my first choice is obviously birds!
    Seems a lot of people have cats but on the other hand, birds have died because a cat or dog got them. I personally could not live with myself if I had a bird die in the paws of a predator because it is a know fact birds are prey to them and a natural instinct to go after them.