User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tell It Like it Is

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    What a great article and videos. I think it is so important for people to be aware before bringing one of these guys home.

When we brought our GW Rosie to the vet as a baby for her first visit we talked to him a bit. I was learning (and still am) everything I could about parrots. I had mentioned that we originally wanted an M2, but due to my son's asthma, it was a no go. He told us it was a good thing we didn't get one. He said he loves cockatoos, but they are extremely difficult to keep healthy and happy. He then said people love them bc they are so cuddly. The problem is that they aren't cuddly bc they want to be. They are cuddly bc they NEED to be. They need constant attention, interaction and love. So when people get busy and can't pay attention to their toos, it is usually ends badly. So sad.
    Rosie & Kendra

2. The following 2 users like this post:

Mare (10-02-2015), spiritbird (10-03-2015)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    As difficult as Amigo was for us in the beginning and I can not imagine it being worse.. I know it can be from listening to other's experiences with a bird that is 3,4,6 or more homes down the road . My birds will be in their forever home till I am no longer able to care for them and Amigo was my main concern because my kids have decided they don't want him . I've found someone, a perfect someone with U2s, an amazing bird person to take him over when the time comes. She's much younger than I and has asked me to please not die within the next ten years..she's hoping to have the property to build a large aviary by then...sweet girl

4. The following 2 users like this post:

kendrafitz (10-02-2015), Lady (10-03-2015)

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    Oh Mare, that is AWESOME!

I had someone in mind for my Rosie, but she passed away last year. I am really not sure where she should go. It's such a huge responsibility and I can't think of who I would trust with her. Hopefully as we get older the kids will step up or I will meet a special someone.
    Rosie & Kendra

6. The following 3 users like this post:

Lady (10-03-2015), Mare (10-03-2015), spiritbird (10-03-2015)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    That is so nice Mare you have a Godmother for Amigo. He is one of a kind. Stay healthy!

Have you written his story on this forum?

8. The following user likes this post:

Mare (10-03-2015)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Kendra, you're right, they are a HUGE responsibility and unless you find someone already committed to birds or settled to the point of having time to be home a lot, it would be hard to lay that responsibility on them. I'm sure through time the perfect someone will come along, Rosie isn't quite done with you, yet

Dianne, I am very healthy and "only" 59yrs. old so I plan on being around for a while longer . Tim use to ask me, "What will happen to Amigo if something happened to you, do you have a plan?" He's happy to know..I now have a plan and this also makes me happy

When you ask about Amigo's story, I did post, a few years back, about his flying free training and how he came to be with us. It's in the free flight section.

10. The following user likes this post:

kendrafitz (10-03-2015)