User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell It Like it Is

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine

Tell It Like it Is

I am sharing a link to web page articles by JLcribber one of our members. I see him as an expert on birds, most especially the Cockatoo. Please take time to read. http://www.mytoos.com/main.shtml

2. The following 3 users like this post:

kendrafitz (10-02-2015), Mare (10-01-2015), PeachyDoll (10-01-2015)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    I have seen this article before and it is a must read for future owners of these large birds, thanks for posting it, Dianne. I feel that if I had read this before Amigo had been dropped on us..he wouldn't be here now. It's all true, such a huge lifetime commitment. I'm so happy, (now), I was in the dark about the truths of these birds. I wouldn't trade this experience for anything in this world ...not now..anyways..heehee

4. The following 3 users like this post:

kendrafitz (10-02-2015), PeachyDoll (10-01-2015), spiritbird (10-01-2015)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    I suggest you give John some feedback. I would love to see him here more. Here are two of his videos

Last edited by spiritbird; 10-01-2015 at 10:17 PM.

6. The following 2 users like this post:

kendrafitz (10-02-2015), Mare (10-01-2015)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Ummmm... I like you, John, I admire your knowledge..I just have different beliefs and really don't want to get into it here .

That being said..I would love to see you post more often! I think Cockatoo people are special, a breed apart!
    Last edited by Mare; 10-02-2015 at 01:32 AM.

8. The following user likes this post:

spiritbird (10-02-2015)

Parrots

Tika (U2) Amanda (U2) Jalepeno (Parrotlet) Whitey (E. Budgie) Ashley (A. Budgie) Jazmalina (A. budgie) Many others at the rainbow bridge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mare View Post
    Ummmm... I like you, John, I admire your knowledge..I just have different beliefs and really don't want to get into it here .

That being said..I would love to see you post more often! I think Cockatoo people are special, a breed apart!
    It's all good. The only time I get into it is when someone pokes me with a stick.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by spiritbird View Post
    I am sharing a link to web page articles by JLcribber one of our members. I see him as an expert on birds, most especially the Cockatoo. Please take time to read. http://www.mytoos.com/main.shtml
    I'm no expert my dear. Just been playing this game for a very very long time.

10. The following user likes this post:

Mare (10-02-2015)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Yes, I agree, you poke a cockatoo person with a stick..you gonna get some feed back!

Parrots

Sun Conure Greenwing Macaw Blue Front Amazon Jardine Hawk head
    I had a U2 once upon a time. A previously rehomed several times one. I thought I could do it alas I could not. Those that can, you are good people.
    They're beautiful birds, I still think they are despite my scars that bird gave me on my (at one time delicate-looking) hands haha, Jekyll and Hyde personality, and certainly not for me.

Parrots

Sun Conure Greenwing Macaw Blue Front Amazon Jardine Hawk head
    She also loved going after my face .. never got it though. My blue front actually saved my face one time, swooped in front of her before dummy me knew what was going on. Then the GW took over chased her in a corner wings out made her stay there. My birdys put her in place. Blue front saved my face and GW finished it lol. After that day, she became enemy number one and I became her attacking object which spurred my GW to attack her. Not a cockatoo person neither is my flock haha

14. The following 2 users like this post:

kendrafitz (10-02-2015), Mare (10-02-2015)

Parrots

We have 1 beautiful Moluccan Cockatoo, 31 years young, she hates red foods, loves any orange foods and adores almonds. Cardboard lover, towel hater, loves SpongeBob SquarePants. The bird rules the roost and don't you forget it!
    This article is brutally honest but a necessary read for future too owners. I have read a lot of horror stories on all types of toos and macaws. I was heartbroken when I visited a bird rescue and saw a beautiful scarlett macaw that was completely bald chested and pecked himself to the point of scabbing and had no tail feathers. His owner had passed suddenly and hadn't made arrangements for him. When I was at the register buying some wood blocks, the scarlett macaw was happily eating a pita chip and saying nummy nummy. He was so sweet. My friend was so upset she couldn't even stay inside and walked out. I walked further into the rescue and saw several cockatoos in similar condition including a huge male Moluccan that was a plucker and had a collar on. I stopped at each bird's cage for a few minutes and talked with them and told them how beautiful they were. At the time of my visit to the rescue we had Rosie for less than 2 months, I spoke to the owner of the rescue about helping me with Rosie's hormonal issue and she gave me some great advice that we still use to this day! Aside from seeking out experienced too owners we feverishly researched anything we could get our hands on about cockatoo behavior and their needs. I was also able to meet her original owner of 26 years and we speak regularly and he gives us advice and tips. I know this is not an option for most rehomes.

We are in the process of making arrangements for Rosie, at 31 years old we know that she could live another 40+ years. We hope to be with her for those 40+ years but you never know. She is our baby and we need to know she will be cared for the way we want her to be cared for for the rest of her life.

They forgot to mention that Moluccans are the 2nd loudest bird in the world capable of an ear piercing 130 decibels. I will say this Rosie was always loved and taken care of by her previous owners and I know we are lucky because our Moluccan is happy and peaceful 90% of the time but I know this is not normal. She does her flock call every night before bed and we cheer her on for the 3 - 5 minutes that this lasts. She can get cranky when she is bored but a change in environment or a short walk in the garden usually relieves the boredom. We do provide Rosie with a variety of entertainment, changes in enrichment, lots of toys, a private chef, 100% human companionship (never left alone), lots of freedom (out of her cage 12 hours each day) and of course lots of love. If one of these key components was missing though I imagine things could be very different. We must be doing something right. As long as our girl is happy and healthy that's all that matters. It is a huge, long term commitment and lifestyle change. It's like having a 2 year old for the rest of your life. She is our baby and a member of our family.
    Last edited by PeachyDoll; 10-02-2015 at 04:54 AM.

16. The following 4 users like this post:

JLcribber (10-02-2015), kendrafitz (10-02-2015), Lady (10-03-2015), Mare (10-02-2015)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Nice post on Rosie. Sounds like she is a happy bird with wonderful humans to care for her. Its very good to line up a second home if and when needed. I found one for my African Grey on the old forum many of us were banned from. That is where she is living now and it worked out wonderfully. Due to severe arthritis just about everywhere I could not perform her care needs. Little birds are my style now.