User Tag List

Thread: copyright infringement

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.

copyright infringement

What would be the rights situation? Say if the picture was copied and used by another website maybe for marketing purposes.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    I've moved Jean-Pierre's reply post and placed it in its own thread as not to further hijack PeachyDoll's photo thread.

Jean-Pierre: I would say that the scenario you've asked about would be a violation of law in various countries (such as America and England). The difference with our staff folks republishing content from our community members is that in order to become a community member at Precisely Parrots, a user must agree to our Terms of Service, which includes the following:

4. By becoming a member of our community and utilizing our services, you are granting us a permanent and unlimited, non-exclusive and irrevocable license to publish, re-publish, and otherwise use as we see fit, any and all content which you have publicly submitted through said services. However, if and when we choose to quote or re-publish an item of your content, that quote or republication shall be attributed to you as its author. You shall retain copyright authority over your intellectual property.
    This is a common sort of agreement that many online communities have as a requirement for membership. Forum sites especially need this kind of protection.

Please be mindful, though, that PP would only use a member's photo to promote PP itself. I don't have the legal right, nor would I ever have the intent to grant permission for a third party to use a member's image. But each time someone posts an image that they own on a public forum site or other content sharing website, that photo becomes immediately accessible and thus vulnerable to theft. There are some safeguards in place here at PP which prevent certain images from being viewed by non-members. But if someone is bent on stealing an image that's posted publicly they are most likely going to find a way to acquire it, be it from a forum site like PP or from Facebook. It's up to the respective owner of an image to prosecute any such theft.

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    I know that people can, and do, steal pics from facebook because the pics are not posted with any reference to the name of the photographer or any reference to what rights the photographer wishes to keep e.g. the right to charge for commercial use. That is why when I post pics on the forum the come from my flickr account where such things are indicated. That doesn't necessarily stop unscrupulous people from copying them and publishing them elsewhere but it does give me a legal leg to stand on in the unlikely event that I catch them at it.
    Someone I met had posted some pics of yachts damaged by a dredger on our local river. The pics spread around FB pretty quickly which he didn't mind but then a news channel (who should know better) published them without contacting him first. I think they paid him a fee when he complained.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    My photographer daughters tell me that anyone that takes a photo owns that photo. I create tons of digital art and put it on a web page where anyone can use it. Its not really important to me because I do not sell them to anyone. Your question is a good one.

5. The following user likes this post:

wingman (09-22-2015)

Parrots

1 blue peach-face lovebird named Rio 2 black masked yellow-green lovebirds named Gracie and Mango 1 Budgie blue with white clouds on breast named Cotton and 2 lovebirds named Boo and Pumpkin 1 new budgie female named Lemon
    Dianne I love that sig of kobe and tango the green leaves looks great and natural!!!!