User Tag List

Thread: Do You Attend Bird Fairs?

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine

Do You Attend Bird Fairs?

Wondering if anyone goes to bird fairs. If so what precautions do you take to prevent bringing home a bird virus?
    I know there are several that have been canceled due to the avian flu. Lucky those who live in Florida
    http://www.exoticbirdevents.com/bird-events.htm

I've always wanted to, but I've heard good and bad things about them...I'm afraid I'd end up in tears...or in custody.

3. The following 2 users like this post:

mdg1109 (02-27-2016), spiritbird (09-06-2015)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Oh how lucky indeed those folks in Florida are. I think I would like to go, well at least once. But on the other hand, how difficult it must me to walk away from a bird you fall in love with or who seems to want you to take them home.

5. The following 2 users like this post:

mdg1109 (02-27-2016), spiritbird (09-07-2015)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Accessories at bird fares are usually good prices.

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    I have never been to one. We don't really seem to have any nearby. Which is probably a good thing!!
    Rosie & Kendra

8. The following 2 users like this post:

mdg1109 (02-27-2016), spiritbird (09-08-2015)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lancaster has a few. Is that too far for you?

When I go I take along a large beach towel that I can put on the seat and I cut a brown paper bag so it lays flat and put that down for my feet before I return to the car for the ride home. I have a mini van and will have laid out a blanket back there so if I buy something I can just put it on top.

I use a separate wallet (I gave up using any sort of purse years ago because of the work purposes) and only take in my drivers license and credit card along with my cash. I try using cash because the vendors have to pay the credit card fees with the cards, and these are people who are trying to make a living so if they don't have to pay fees, that helps them out too.

When I get home and am in the attached garage, I get out of the car and strip and leave the cloths in a bucket. I had left a pair of old socks in the garage that I place on my feet and walk directly into the down stairs shower. I wash every nook and cranny, including under the nails, blowing the nose and use the bar of soap to wash the socks that I just took back off.

I later wash all the clothes, including that beach towel and blanket and dispose of the paper bag. I then wipe down everything I touched in the van including the wallet, cards and money that were in the wallet and leave the doors/windows open to ventilate the car also and hope like heck this is enough. It might seem to be a lot of work but it is like I have a routine down with it and I am good to go.

I would never think of buying a bird from a fair and really don't pay attention to the birds that are brought unless a Macaw would happen to be there, I would look then but I am not an impulse purchaser, especially with a bird that has been exposed to any type of fairs. Ain't going to happen.

What I don't understand is all the bleeding hearts who cry and complain because the birds are 'crammed into these small cages'. That is a temporary thing, vendors cannot be bringing large cages for each bird they are trying to sell, come on, realize that fact. It's for a day, not like it is permanent.

Ok, that is my 2 cents.

11. The following user likes this post:

spiritbird (09-08-2015)

Nobility Member

Parrots

You will not bring home anything you do not want with all those good precautions.