User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dangerous Hook

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine

Dangerous Hook

I was sitting in a chair reading and looked up to see Kobe struggling and hanging from the hook of a boing. He was perfectly silent which is unusual for him. I immediately got up to have a look and saw that his toe was caught in the hook. I could not get to him properly so I took the boing and Kobe out of the cage together and managed to release his toe. He is OK and is not even favoring his foot. If there is a hole in something in the cage he seems to manage to find it.
    I never noticed this hook was different from all of my others. So please check all of your hooks and be sure it is not the kind that has a small hole on the curve of the hook.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dang 001.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	3206

2. The following 2 users like this post:

Mare (08-31-2015), wingman (08-30-2015)

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    Wow! I would have been a mess. Glad that he is OK and will check my clips. Thank you for the heads up!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Rosie & Kendra

4. The following user likes this post:

spiritbird (08-31-2015)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    That's one of those cheapo Chinese quick-link imitations. I'm not sure about the ones with the small hole on the narrow side like in your photo... but that's the type that come with the majority of hanging bird toys from many sources. I'm glad Kobe is okay!
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

6. The following user likes this post:

spiritbird (08-31-2015)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    With big bird people it will not be an issue.

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by spiritbird View Post
    With big bird people it will not be an issue.
    That's correct. The issue with large macaws is they tend to bend those small links into pretzel shapes and crack the sleeves apart - which is dangerous . Salsa has cracked those threaded sleeves on them into smithereens a couple of times in fact. I won't even allow him near them anymore.

9. The following user likes this post:

spiritbird (08-31-2015)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Wow, I'm glad Kobe is okay and you were home to help him! The only issues I've had with nails getting stuck is on the rope perches and only with Amigo. If he is stuck in his cage, without getting out for more than a day, he will chew apart one of those 2" diameter perches within hours. The hanging strings are scary because he gets his nails stuck in them. We go through a lot of rope perches around here

11. The following user likes this post:

spiritbird (08-31-2015)

Nobility Member

Parrots

If these hooks are not said to be stainless steel there is no way to know what the metal is. There are so many dangers for the littles and the bigs in the bird world. I guess there are in the wild also.

13. The following user likes this post:

Mare (08-31-2015)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by spiritbird View Post
    If these hooks are not said to be stainless steel there is no way to know what the metal is. There are so many dangers for the littles and the bigs in the bird world. I guess there are in the wild also.
    That's true. Unless lab analysis were involved. The one in your photo is not stainless steel. I have quite a few of them like it in a drawer. They are made from a cheap base metal material and then flash plated, often with nickle. The underlying metals may well contain zinc. There are no safeguards or concerns in China.

Nobility Member

Parrots

Wish I could remember which toy this hook came on. I would write them a nasty note. I have a plastic baggie full of hooks and none of them have a hole like this one does.

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Get your fasteners from a yacht chandler or mountaineering store, that way you will know that they are strong and safe.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

17. The following user likes this post:

spiritbird (02-06-2016)