User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: hash tag inclusion

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady View Post
    #Dragonlady2 ,
    I hear ya! I have to keep trying to figure it out till I can remember how.... when I do get it right!
    If you get stuck on something, I'll try and help. Obviously, I am the one who added all of this stuff and initially tested it. But it's probably a good idea that I refresh my memory on a few things . If I remember correctly, one of the main issues with using hash tags and mentions is that those of our members who utilize custom fonts must follow some rules to get them to work. The hash tags and mentions must be added outside of the font formatting tags to become active. And that's where the buttons I added should help.

I have a suspicion that you're going to become our 'go to' person for some of the procedures for these features, Alice
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

2. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (05-07-2017), Lady (05-07-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    That would be okay by me #plax as long as I keep using them to keep the "how to" in my head.

4. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (05-07-2017), plax (05-07-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Like all new stuff, I will watch with interest for twenty years to see if it is worth me learning about it. Whatever happened to Skype?
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

6. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (05-08-2017), Lady (05-09-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Skype? Now that's funny #Casper's2ndBestfriend .......we have a chat (shoutbox) that we don't get to all go and hang out together in let alone get the chance to Skype! With all our busy lifestyles and time zones the #,@ and a Tag can be a easier way to alert each other.

From my understand, as little as it is, the hash tag, mention and tagging is just to bring other's attention to a post or thread. Really though a #(hashtag) is a way to group topics where as a @(mention) will alert someone to a specific post. Therefore the TAG will alert everyone to a specific thread. Even the quoting of someone else's post will give us a notification. So far that is what I think they are all used for but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Alice, your description sounds correct to me. Here's how I would describe the user tagging and mention options.

Thread user tags (placed within the User Tag List above each thread) are for alerting all the listed users to activity within the particular thread.

@username mentions are alerts for the specific users named that are placed within the post body.

#hashtag names are for grouping posts from different threads into common groups.

Those, as you've explained, are in addition the the normal post quoting notifications. So there are plenty of options to get someone's attention. Overkill perhaps?

9. The following user likes this post:

Lady (05-11-2017)

Parrots

So, if I add #plax to a reply, what exactly happens?
    ditto @plax

11. The following user likes this post:

Lady (05-11-2017)

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    So, if I add #plax to a reply, what exactly happens?
    ditto @plax
    The former adds an entry to my Hash Tag Subscriptions list and notifies me of such. It as well groups your post to the #plax hash tag. The latter notifies me of your mention and adds an entry on my profile's 'mentions' tab.

Please be aware, though, that anyone using these options who has modified their font style from its default will need to take extra steps to make certain the tags and mentions they use will activate properly. Alice is becoming our resident expert on those steps

13. The following user likes this post:

Lady (05-11-2017)

Parrots

Righto... looks blank and baffled. Perhaps I should have asked What happens when other people #me or @me?
    First of all what will I notice and secondly will it work on a name with character spaces or will it just pick up Casper's and save them the nuisance of typing in the extra words?
    And what happens if they forget the apostrophe?
    Last edited by Casper's 2nd best friend; 05-09-2017 at 07:01 PM.

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    Righto... looks blank and baffled. Perhaps I should have asked What happens when other people #me or @me?
    First of all what will I notice and secondly will it work on a name with character spaces or will it just pick up Casper's and save them the nuisance of typing in the extra words?
    And what happens if they forget the apostrophe?
    It will mostly do what I described in post #15

EDIT:

The @mention has to accord exactly to the member's username to become active. And a #hashtag reference will either add to an existing #hashtag list or, if it's typed differently, create a new one. So it's best to try and be precise

16. The following user likes this post:

Lady (05-11-2017)

Administrator

Parrots

@Casper's 2nd best friend The custom fonts have always presented a problem. The default font works somewhat smoothly.