User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Personality of a Linnie

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine

The Personality of a Linnie

For those of you who may be considering owing a Linnie as a pet here are some details.

The Lineolated is indeed a good choice for the person who wants a smaller, easy-to-care-for pet. Their average lifespan is about 10 years, but individual birds have been known to live up to 15 years - so they are less of a commitment than the larger parrots who can live up to 80 or more years.
    Lineolated parakeets offer the advantages of "parrot ownership" without the major life adjustments that would come with owning one of the larger, more destructive, noisier and high-maintenance parrots. They are said to have a sweeter temperament than budgies, lovebirds or parrotlets - who have a reputation for being more aggressive by nature. A hand-fed, single pet lineolated parakeet often bonds very tightly to its owner and can be defensive of him or her. They are playful, fun little beings and can often be seen hanging upside down from their perches, sometimes even from one foot!
    They are playful and tend to be quiet - chattering rather than screeching. They like to chatter in the early and late hours of the day -- as birds generally like to do. Other than those times, they usually remain quiet unless something strange happens or someone unfamiliar enters into their sight, or when trying to get your attention - at feeding times, for example. At those times, they can emit a high pitched contact call or an excited loud twittering.
    People particularly enjoy the fact that they are such capable talkers. Some of them may learn to talk as youngsters, barely a few months old. Their speech is very clear, but their vocabulary tends to be limited. They are adept at learning all kinds of sounds and whistles.

2. The following 2 users like this post:

Lady (08-19-2015), Mr Peepers (08-19-2015)

Parrots

SPX the Super Duper Flying Freak Budgie and Mr Peepers the Not So Super Duper Flying Freak Canary
    Very nice post Dianne, do either of your linnies say any words?

4. The following user likes this post:

spiritbird (08-19-2015)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Yes Kobe talks well. Easy to understand too but he mostly does it in private so its hard to get a video of. Took a vid one time and his taking is a bit hard to hear.

The AC is making noise but he says look at you, your a good girl, step up, your a pretty girl, tickle, tickle tickle. This video was taken before Tango was here. (girl referring to Daisy the budgie that was here)

Last edited by spiritbird; 08-19-2015 at 06:59 PM.

6. The following 2 users like this post:

Lady (08-19-2015), Mr Peepers (08-19-2015)

Parrots

SPX the Super Duper Flying Freak Budgie and Mr Peepers the Not So Super Duper Flying Freak Canary
    Oh my that's too cute! He sounded like he was laughing a few times as well. What a character.

I find with the smaller birds that they sometimes forget talking words if they are housed with other birds like them, why speak people chit chat when there is a lovely bird just like them in the cage?

SPX stopped speaking or repeating any words he learned when I housed him with a couple of rescue budgies last year, he sometimes says the odd word to me now which surprises me but its been well over a year since my mouthy boy use to have chit chats with me one on one.

Nobility Member

Parrots

Kobe does not talk quite as much now that Tango is on scene. Guess he has other things on his little mind. I do hear him talking at dusk though.

9. The following user likes this post:

Mr Peepers (08-19-2015)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    He is so very sweet with his little voice. Love the kissing sounds too.

11. The following user likes this post:

spiritbird (08-19-2015)

Parrots

Funny all my talking budgies use to talk more at dusk, I wonder if it has something to do with them winding down for the night and getting ready to snooze soon.

13. The following user likes this post:

spiritbird (08-19-2015)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Maybe they feel more secure in the PM.

15. The following user likes this post:

Mr Peepers (08-19-2015)

Parrots

1 Male Pacific Parrotlet Named: Tico 1 Female Rose Crown Conure Named: Zoey 1 Female Cobalt Lineolated Parakeet Named: Lilo 1 Female Creamino Lineolated Parakeet Named: Belle
    Omg I love listening to your Linnie talking. Lilo never talked...she clicks with me as every time I uncover her as I used to click to let her know I was there because when I would uncover her in the mornings she would get frightened but after I clicked she knew what was happening and it worked.

Thanks Mr. Peepers (siggy)
    Rest in Peace... (Trixster) 03/17/2000​

17. The following 2 users like this post:

Mr Peepers (08-20-2015), spiritbird (08-20-2015)

Parrots

1 Male Pacific Parrotlet Named: Tico 1 Female Rose Crown Conure Named: Zoey 1 Female Cobalt Lineolated Parakeet Named: Lilo 1 Female Creamino Lineolated Parakeet Named: Belle
    The new baby isn't saying anything she doesn't even really mutter like Linnie's do when they garble talk. I agree though Linnie's have a very docile personality. One thing I would say about them is hand rearing doesn't mean as much as I thought it would. I always believed that hand raised babies were always better in personality and everything. The new Linnie seems much more willing to do things with me then my hand reared one. I am aware his could just be personalities etc...but she is really outgoing. Lilo almost never touched her toys and will only touch some types of soft food even though she gets the same stuff as everyone else. My new one loves all the food even the string beans which almost all my other tend not to eat lol. She loves food and eats constantly. Lilo would barely let me get close even today she is better but still distant the baby although still unsure is trusting and realizes she can cuddle close to me and will rest inside my hand without any problems I can touch her everywhere. I don't rub or touch her back as I know what it means for females but I can flip her on her back and she is very trusting. It's such a difference. I don't know if I ever want to place lilo and the new one in the same cage as she is so much tamer. We will see right now we are in quarantine so they are not even in the same room. They don't even talk to each other. Lilo calls out to me all the time but the little one hasn't responded.

Thanks Mr. Peepers (siggy)
    Rest in Peace... (Trixster) 03/17/2000​

19. The following user likes this post:

Mr Peepers (08-20-2015)