User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: new editor buttons - including hash tag workaround for members using custom fonts

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"

new editor buttons - including hash tag workaround for members using custom fonts

I've added 3 new message editor buttons. #announce

The one with the Facebook "f" will wrap [fb][/fb] tags around a Facebook video ID number to embed the associated video into a post.

The one that's labeled "# TAG" will allow hash tag names (entered in posts by members with custom fonts) to become fully active hash tags upon post submission. A member merely need highlight the hash tag name (including the leading # symbol) and then press the "# TAG" button once. The highlight will immediately disappear. The tag name will then become active once the message has been submitted. Note: Add your hash tags at the head of your message body (as I've done on this post), not at the end! Those members not using custom fonts need only type their hash tag names to make them active within submitted posts - there is no need for them to use the toolbar button.

The third button is the one with the "@" symbol. Its function is to wrap [mention][/mention] tags around a username. This will activate the username as a mention. Please be sure to type any mentioned username exactly as it exists within our member list. That means that any spaces and punctuation marks must precisely match those in the actual member name in order for the mention to become active.

I've also enabled the 'Recent Hash Tags' sidebar block.

If you have any questions I'll be happy to try and answer them.

EDIT: I've also centered the Quick Reply action buttons (i,e., 'Post Quick Reply', 'Go Advanced', 'Cancel'). I did so for the same reason that I moved the post footer action buttons slightly to the left: because they were conflicting with the anchor link zone on the extreme right side. There's no need to change the location of the counterpart action buttons on the Advanced Reply editor or on the Quick or Full editors, since nothing interferes with them in their current positions.

2. The following user likes this post:

Lady (08-19-2015)

Parrots

SPX the Super Duper Flying Freak Budgie and Mr Peepers the Not So Super Duper Flying Freak Canary
    Excellent! Thanks for all the hard work you've been putting in here. Looks great and works great too.

4. The following user likes this post:

plax (08-18-2015)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Like the new placements. Reply seems to be working faster.

6. The following user likes this post:

plax (08-18-2015)

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    For several days, I've been trying to come up with a way to allow # tags to become active in posts that contain custom font formatting. I finally came up with my method for doing it yesterday. So now I feel better about moving on to other things
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

8. The following 2 users like this post:

Mr Peepers (08-18-2015), spiritbird (08-18-2015)

Parrots

SPX the Super Duper Flying Freak Budgie and Mr Peepers the Not So Super Duper Flying Freak Canary
    I really like the centering of the post QReply and Go Adv, and Cancel.

10. The following 2 users like this post:

Lady (08-19-2015), plax (08-19-2015)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Quote Originally Posted by plax View Post
    So now I feel better about moving on to other things
    Other things???? You have been doing so much around the site (upgrading and adding fun stuff) that I think it's time for a day off .

Thanks Tony, for all you do!!
    I too like the new arrangements.

12. The following user likes this post:

plax (08-19-2015)

Administrator

Parrots

You're all welcome, of course

The hash tag system may take some getting used to (including for me). I think once each of us becomes used to using it, doing so may become a more frequent thing. Please note that you can't enter a hash tag name that includes the "#" symbol into the fields on your hash tag subscription page. The system will indeed accept the names, but the names won't result in activated hash tags. Additionally, the default behavior when a member submits a hash tag word within a post is that the member is not automatically subscribed to that hash tag. The member thus must subscribe to the hash tag manually (if desired, that is).

One change is that I've moved the hash tag sidebar block up one space. It's now directly under the 'Visiting Members' block.

Enjoy!

14. The following user likes this post:

Mr Peepers (08-19-2015)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Plax, just re reading and trying to work with learning how to use the hash tag. Seems it didn't work when I tried it earlier.

When I click onto the #tag button nothing is happening that I can see. When I click onto the @@mention; I can see the word wrap mention. Is this how the # is supposed to work???

Go figure the #tag worked here, but the mention didn't show.
    Last edited by Lady; 06-05-2016 at 07:32 PM.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Oh so I'm guessing that I have to just type gripe after hitting the key.....

Let's see if that works .

Nope, so let me hit the # key on my keyboard and type gripe.......

#gripe then hit the key above....

now I got it.
    Last edited by Lady; 06-05-2016 at 08:31 PM.

Administrator

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Lady View Post
    Plax, just re reading and trying to work with learning how to use the hash tag. Seems it didn't work when I tried it earlier.

When I click onto the #tag button nothing is happening that I can see. When I click onto the @mention I can see the word wrap mention. Is this how the # is supposed to work???

Go figure the #tag worked here, but the mention didn't show.
    Alice: Make sure that your Switch Editor to Source Mode tool button is not highlighted before you click on the # TAG button.