User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Making Bird Toys

Parrots

Glenn, Indian Ringneck; Sherman, White-capped Pionus; JoJo, Budgie; Tommy, Budgie; Sir Lancelot, Yellow-side Greencheek; Daytona, Sun Conure
    The local sawmill gives me tons of wood. I've gotten everything from softwood to hardwood that's untreated. I also approached furniture makers, but most of their wood is treated. I got lucky and found a maker of heirloom- style furniture from heat- treated wood only.
    Despite the size of your town/city, there's always someone trying to get rid of wood and branches or knows who to talk to!
    Keep in mind that most any medium to large birds can destroy softwood the first day. Hardwood poses a problem.
    Check out the sales at Drs. Foster and Smith. Also, this time of year is great for sales! Before you make things, check out the web unless you're a total DIYer.
    Last edited by LesliesBabies; 08-15-2018 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Added information.

2. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (08-29-2018), Dragonlady2 (08-15-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Thanks for the suggestions

Parrots

Glenn, Indian Ringneck; Sherman, White-capped Pionus; JoJo, Budgie; Tommy, Budgie; Sir Lancelot, Yellow-side Greencheek; Daytona, Sun Conure
    Quote Originally Posted by Quakerella View Post
    Just for your own information. I use lead testing strips to test bird toy parts, and some pet toys and baby toys from the dollar store test positive. Even though it may be a minute amount and unable to harm a baby, there may still be enough to harm a bird.
    That right there is why I only go to the baby stuff and don't but liquid filled baby stuff.

I also scavenge parts from broken toys! That way I know they're bird safe, but you have to buy some toys to scavenge off of first. Luckily, I've had a LONG time to do It! There are tons of liberty- and cowbells in the toy part drawer!

Just this morning, I saw them selling a foot toy filled coconut and thought that there's a coconut at the end of my WCP's ladder that she hates and I've got lots of little stuff, so down it came. Now my WCP has a ladder she likes and my conures have a new, hanging "forage basket."

A chewed up toy had a spring in it. I put a bell on one end and a hanger on the other. Now my budgies have a bouncy bell they love!

When someone drives to McDonald's, they get a mission from me. Bring brown napkins, straws and those little ketchup cups. If they can, bring a drink holder, too. Those little cups make great tiny, replaceable forage baskets!

When my mother was sick, I bought a bags of those bendy neon straws. The left over bags of straws became neon bird toys!

Parrots

I made a busyboard out of leftover toy parts hooked on with bird safe cotton twine on leftover blue jean pant legs for smaller birds and on drilled gym based for larger birds. My fids have hours of fun further destroying fallen toys, untying rope knots, chewing on chains, ringing bells, etc.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    How nice you can make things for your birds. I like to as well but only find the time in the winter. I usually order parts from the net and let Lady pick what she likes, then I try and put it together and see if it keeps her amused.

7. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-29-2018)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Casper loves the square softwood slats because they are easy for him to turn into matchwood. We love them because it distracts him from chewing stuff he shouldn't.
    They are quite expensive in the blister packs online, I am thinking about trying to get them wholesale because he can get through a pack in a week!
    Plastic bottles are fun https://1drv.ms/v/s!AiShclt2ghrmhHfZVjjsMxYMNPLj
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

9. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-29-2018), Lady (09-02-2018)

Parrots

1 Sun Conure, 6 Zebra Fiches, 6 Gouldian Finches, 6 Society Finches, 16 Bearded Dragons, 8 Crested Geckos, and 8 Gargoyle Geckos
    There are many inexpensive options for making toys from common household items and a bag of treats! Here's a link to some videos showing a few of them. Hope this helps.

http://www.fmbrown.com/pet-wild-bird-videos/