User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Making Bird Toys

Hybrid View

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine

Making Bird Toys

I used to make bird toys for my African Grey bird. The reason I stopped was that her beak was so strong most of them fell apart in one or two days. My hands are not that strong either. With this being said I would like to try my hand at it for Linnies who have much stronger beaks. Can anyone recommend a site that offers al the parts one would need for toys?

2. The following user likes this post:

Mr Peepers (08-03-2015)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Peatree, Honey, and Pressie the GCCs, Paris the budgie, Grey Bird the CAG, and Jester Bean the C2
    I have gotten toy parts from http://mysafebirdstore.com/, they have a nice selection. I have also heard people talk about how great http://www.cabirdnerds.com/ and http://www.noahsarkandnovelty.com/ are for toy parts, but I have never shopped there myself.
    "Every once in awhile, a bird comes into your life and changes everything."

Always, Weasley. 2010 ~ 2013

Custom Pet Portraits ~ Art by Madalyn C

4. The following 4 users like this post:

kendrafitz (08-03-2015), Mr Peepers (08-03-2015), PeachyDoll (08-05-2015), spiritbird (08-04-2015)

Parrots

SPX the Super Duper Flying Freak Budgie and Mr Peepers the Not So Super Duper Flying Freak Canary
    Good luck with making toys, I will want to see tons of photos of what you make and what makes your birds happiest with your creations.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Last edited by Lady; 08-04-2015 at 01:19 AM. Reason: found another site

7. The following 2 users like this post:

PeachyDoll (08-05-2015), spiritbird (08-04-2015)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Starting to make bird toys may cost more then just buying one. E Bay has several vendors selling toy parts with free shipping. Not sure I will do this or not. There is not much left to recycle after my Linnies get a hold of a toy. Someone said their Palm Cockatoo destroys a $50. toy in a few minutes.

Parrots

SPX the Super Duper Flying Freak Budgie and Mr Peepers the Not So Super Duper Flying Freak Canary
    Why don't you call around and see if there are any orchards near you, places that have apple trees. The owners usually do a pruning a couple of times each season and you will be able to get branches from them for free.

You will be able to find organic non pesticide branches. When you bring the branches home put the branches in the bath/shower and pour boiling water on them or just shower them in super hot water for a few minutes brushing the branches with a scrubber. Then use a sponge soaked of vinegar and cover the branches with vinegar then let them dry.

You can place them branches on a tray in front of a sunny window to dry or put the branches in the oven on 200 and bake them for 20 mins to assure they are sterilized and ready to give to your birds.

Or you can buy expensive apple tree branches at a pet shop. You can usually find them for hamsters or gerbils.

Parrots

I have made toys from clean new popsicle sticks or tongue depressors I buy at the pharmacy. You can soak the wooden sticks in jello or grape/orange/apple juice then let them dry. Make toys by interlocking the sticks with sisal rope or weave them together, the birds love to chew on the flavored sticks.

There are tons of HOW TO videos and instructions on sites online how to make flavored toys from popsicle or tongue depressor sticks.

11. The following 2 users like this post:

sheryl (08-31-2018), spiritbird (08-05-2015)

Parrots

If you can find someone who has a weeping willow tree, ask them for some branches. As long as the branches have never been sprayed with pesticides you can offer these to your birds.

Wash them in the bath/shower do the vinegar routine and let the branches dry. Your birds will like the branches dried or even fresh and green.

---------------

Also, linnies budgies tiels and lovies all love eucalyptus branches. If you can find eucalyptus branches that are organic try and get a few and let your birds enjoy them to chew on. Any place online sells eucalyptus branches for sugar gliders so you shouldn't have a hard time finding them.

http://eucproducts.com/

Parrots

You can cut the base of the larger part of the branch into chunk slugs and drill a hole in them, buy some inexpensive sisal rope and put it through the drilled pieces of wood and make dangling type toys they can chew on.

I like to take a larger dowel I buy at a hardware store or a large thick apple tree branch and drill holes into it, the holes should be the same size as the branches which should be about 5 or 6 inches long. I then put the 5 - 6 inche apple branches in the drilled holes of the dowel/branch in a spiral pattern up and around the dowel making a spiral ladder perch.

The perch ladder is easy to hang or even clamp on to the side of a cage with a simple clamp. No glue needed and the birds love to play on the ladder and chew the branches up and below them.

Imagine this in simple apple tree branches.

14. The following user likes this post:

wingman (08-07-2015)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    @Mr Peepers,

How cool, they even state that they will give free seed pods (with your order) to try and grow Eucalyptus yourself

16. The following user likes this post:

Mr Peepers (08-05-2015)