User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Parrot Alone

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine

A Parrot Alone

I put this in the controversial forum because this subject has widely differing opinions. Some of us and many other people have birds that are living alone without another member of their species. Please read this authors opinions and let us know what your feelings are on the subject. Do you think behavior problems can occur more in the alone bird?

http://www.parrots.org/index.php/for...ewthread/1370/
    Last edited by spiritbird; 07-26-2015 at 11:33 AM.

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    I think it depends on how much people interact with their birds, leave them alone in the house all day and they are going to get bored. But... it all depends on the character of the individual bird - some are quite placid and forgiving and others more neurotic. Much like humans, no matter how much love you give some people they still self harm.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

3. The following 3 users like this post:

Mr Peepers (07-26-2015), PlaxMacaws (07-26-2015), spiritbird (07-26-2015)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    I agree with Jean-Pierre!
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

5. The following user likes this post:

spiritbird (07-26-2015)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Any more members wish to respond?

Parrots

Molucan Cockatoo, Major Mitchell Cockatoo & Goliath Black Palm Cockatoo
    Quote Originally Posted by PlaxMacaws View Post
    I agree with Jean-Pierre!
    So do I.

I can't imagine having a lone bird.. What a boring life...Mine keep each other company while I work all day. We do play and act silly for a while when I get home, then its scritches, kisses , dinner and off to bed.

9. The following user likes this post:

Mr Peepers (07-27-2015)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    I agree that parrots scream for a reason, no question! In my personal opinion, you should not have a "lone" bird..no matter how many human or other types of critters you have, birds can relate best to other birds. My first bird was Amigo, Umbrella Cockatoo. I brought Sassy goffins into the mix, thinking he would love her and found out he would rather eat her but..she has become a cherished part of our birdome! They keep each other great company, from across the room. I'm all for more than just one bird

11. The following user likes this post:

spiritbird (07-27-2015)

Nobility Member

Parrots

I think there are no absolutes in answering this question. If you have but a one bird home you will be spending much of your time with that bird but cannot replace the flock mentality that would be present if the bird was not a single bird. You also risk overbonding. I have a friend with a GCC. This bird has been a single bird for almost 15 years now. As I observe the bird's behavior there is definitely overbonding which may cause behavior issues when the person is not available to give attention. When the bird is taken to the vet it says "mommy" over and over again and will never settle down. I really believe if this bird had the opportunity to interact with another bird it would be happier. Then again not everyone can afford to have more than one bird.

Parrots

SPX the Super Duper Flying Freak Budgie and Mr Peepers the Not So Super Duper Flying Freak Canary
    I agree with everyone's comments about having more then one bird as there is nothing like that natural bond these birds share with each other.

I haven't made a thread or posted about Mr Peeper's but sadly the little bird has passed away. This now leaves me with SPX alone.

My lifestyle is changing and I have decided a while back that I do not want any more birds for a long time, SPX came to me as a young bird and was raised to live with me alone. He has been caged with other budgies in the last couple of years but he was always indifferent to them and never bonded, there was no attempts to preen his other budgie cage mates, no mating rituals and no playing so I understood that he was okay with living on his own.

When his elderly rescued cage mate passed on last year SPX didn't care and continued to play preen me bite me and hang out with me as usual so I decided he will live on his own with me until his passing.

You may think this cruel but I really worry about housing him with anyone else who might have birds as I've witnessed up close a few times that he is totally indifferent about other birds. I would also worry about him being without me as we are very close as I suppose I am his flock.

I'm fortunate that I work from home so I get to hang out with him daily, I also have an elderly relative who lives with me that has grown to love being with SPX daily. She loves to hang out in the den with SPX daily listening to music and enjoying watching SPX fly about and get into mischief daily.

I wish it could be different but currently I can't see housing SPX anywhere else.

Nobility Member

Parrots

I am so sorry you lost little Peeps. We will have to refer to you as Mr. S instead of Mr. Peeps. Its not an easy decision to have no more birds. Not sure if I could do that one. I do know that I will not get any more cats though. Christine has been with me for 13 years now and she is aging gracefully. Life is just easier when you do not have litter boxes to deal with. I think the same could be said about bird cage cleaning.