User Tag List

Thread: Parts that need some TLC

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)

Parts that need some TLC

Hi Everyone,

I have been searching and searching for information to make the screw that sticks out of the perch tight.
    I know I've been told about a safe glue or something but I can't find it.

I was going to rearrange Lady's cage today and switch up her perches when I discovered one of them has a loose screw, .

Someone please lead me to the right thread or leave me the information I need to safely fix one of her perches. It is a natural grapevine perch and I would love to be able to use it again.

Thanks~

Parrots

SPX the Super Duper Flying Freak Budgie and Mr Peepers the Not So Super Duper Flying Freak Canary
    When I have a screw loose (yeah yeah I'm nuts!) and the screw doesn't have anything to catch it to make it tighten I put a tiny piece of balsa wood or even a wooden tooth pick in the hole before I put the screw in and start tightening it.

The balsa wood/tooth pick give the screw something to catch on. I've heard other people say an elastic band or even a piece of cardboard in the hole before you put the screw can work.

Good luck.

3. The following 2 users like this post:

Lady (07-15-2015), spiritbird (07-15-2015)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Can you show us a pic so we can put our minds together and help you? Peeps idea seems good.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150715_200838[1].jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	3044
    How's this?

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    You could always go to the hardware store and get a new wood screw that's one or two sizes larger.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

7. The following 2 users like this post:

Lady (07-18-2015), Mr Peepers (07-16-2015)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Do you have a drill that will screw in the screw?

Parrots

SPX the Super Duper Flying Freak Budgie and Mr Peepers the Not So Super Duper Flying Freak Canary
    Quote Originally Posted by PlaxMacaws View Post
    You could always go to the hardware store and get a new wood screw that's one or two sizes larger.

Good idea, if you do this make sure you get a larger thicker screw and not a longer one. Sometimes people think a longer screw will do the trick but its not the case you need a larger thicker screw to make the connection tight.

10. The following user likes this post:

Lady (07-18-2015)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peepers View Post
    Good idea, if you do this make sure you get a larger thicker screw and not a longer one. Sometimes people think a longer screw will do the trick but its not the case you need a larger thicker screw to make the connection tight.
    Yes, one can always use toothpicks or cardboard, or any number of things to fill the extra space in order to give the threads something to bite into. But since wood screws of a given thread size come in various lengths, finding one that's larger in diameter than the previously used screw, while still at a similar length, should be possible. For perches, I typically use threaded studs that have wood screw threads on one end and machine threads on the other, and then use wingnuts to secure them. And I use those resin spacers if the studs happen to be a bit too long.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

12. The following 2 users like this post:

Lady (07-18-2015), Mr Peepers (07-16-2015)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by PlaxMacaws View Post
    Yes, one can always use toothpicks or cardboard, or any number of things to fill the extra space in order to give the threads something to bite into. But since wood screws of a given thread size come in various lengths, finding one that's larger in diameter than the previously used screw, while still at a similar length, should be possible. For perches, I typically use threaded studs that have wood screw threads on one end and machine threads on the other, and then use wingnuts to secure them. And I use those resin spacers if the studs happen to be a bit too long.

Same here, I like anything with a wingnut to secure a perch toy dish etc.

14. The following user likes this post:

PlaxMacaws (07-16-2015)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by spiritbird View Post
    Do you have a drill that will screw in the screw?
    I'm sure I do but, the screw doesn't fit as tight as it once did. I guess I have moved it around a bit too much.

I tried wrapping some cardboard around the screw and putting the screw back but it just didn't feel secure.

I think I will just get a thicker screw and hope I don't split the wood~

Thanks for your ideas guys. I was hoping there was a safe wood putty or glue but this way I know it will be safe.

16. The following user likes this post:

PlaxMacaws (07-18-2015)